wireless remote shutter releases

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Rodney1, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Rodney1

Rodney1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to the Forum so don't know if this has been discussed before, but can anyone tell me why few if any digital cameras offer a wireless remote shutter release of the sort that came as an accessory for my old APS film camera, the Canon Ixus L1. It was a small disc with a button in the middle, which when pressed from a range of up to several yards would fire the shutter.

I used it a lot with the camera set up on a mini tripod, and it was very useful for: (a) taking group pictures with myself included in the group, (b) taking candid shots when the subjects had no idea they were being photographed, and (c) ensuring best image quality with absolutely no camera shake, especially in difficult lighting situations. In all cases one had total control over the moment of taking the picture, infinitely better than the primitive delayed timer release which is all we get newadays.

It seems to me that with their incredible sophistication, modern digital cameras have fancy features that very few people understand, let alone use. If you don't accept this, ask the next person you see with a compact to explain what a histogram is, and see what answer you get. Why not dispense with this sort of complicated nonsense and provide a feature everyone would find useful?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I believe that most DSLRs have this available. For Nikon it's the ML-L3 remote and operates via infra-red.

Histograms are useful. :)

3. Rodney1

Rodney1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I should perhaps have made it clearer that my remarks were not directed towards serious photo hobbyists capable of making full use of all the facilities offered by DSLRs, but to ordinary snappers who make up the majority of camera users. Although keen on photography, I myself would not contemplate heaving a large camera around with me. I am more interested in a compact such as the Panasonic LX3 which offers complete manual control but unfortunately not a remote shutter release.