1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless remote control for £23

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by jGrahamD, Dec 9, 2003.

1. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having my PC in the room above my projector created not only a few wiring challenges, but also the need for a wireless remote control. Wireless mice generally are limited to a couple of metres, unless you fork out for bluetooth. I even considered getting a wireless gamepad but fortunately noticed that Ebuyer were selling the ATI Remote Wonder (branded under Sapphire and called Remote Controlled BOB) for £23.88 delivered. This is quite a smart looking remote which has mouse cursor control built in, so, with a bit of fiddling, you can start up any application remotely. There are numerous keys with familiar symbols (play, forward and rewind, etc.). You can download plugins to control PowerDVD, WinDVD or Theatertek, as well as many other applications. It has plenty of range and is easy to install. Highly recommended!

For plugins: http://remotew.free.fr/

2. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these from ebuyer and found the range to be rubbish. My wife described it as a "quite near" rather than a remote. Otherwise not a bad bit of kit.

3. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It controls my PC from the room below, I will have a play with it over the weekend and see how far it will reach.

4. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The newer driver versions are supposed to remedy the range flaw, failing that you need a USB extender as the further away from the PC the RF box is the further the RF range is (PCs have rf interference)

6. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I managed about 20 ft, but the further away you are, the more "cold spots" you will find. I suppose it's stating the obvious, but make sure that the aerial on the usb box is not shielded by the computer or running close to another cable. The main advantage of this remote for me is that, unlike an IR device, it goes through walls.