Wireless Rear Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ballyman, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Ballyman

Ballyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to turn my rear speakers into wireless speakers. My current set up is an Onkyo receiver with Onkyo speakers, 3 front, 1 sub and 2 rear.

However it's not really practical for me to wire the rear speakers at the moment as there are a lot of things in the way from the TV area to where the back walls and I wanted to hook them up wirelessly to the receiver. I do have a power point at both of the locations of where I would have the rear speakers though which would be hidden behind the sofa so powering anything wouldn't be a problem.

I've come across this which may help me.

Would this result in much of a reduction in sound quality?? Would there be a time delay between the front and rear speakers?? I can adjust the distance on the receiver anyway maybe to overcome this. Also, I came across something a while back, can't remember where, but you could use your power outlets to transmit wirelessly??? Probably crap for sound though.

Any help would be appreciated, as well as where I can get the product above as it seems they don't ship to Ireland!!

Thanks for your help. It seems a pity to waste some superb sound without surround as my current setup, while good is reallly missing the surround power :(

2. Ballyman

Ballyman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So that would be a no then??

3. Grimaldi

Grimaldi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I guess quite a few peeps have viewed this thread but I also imagine its hard for people to comment as wireless speakers are just not that common.

4. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Well just a few idle thoughts...

I very much doubt you could wirelessly send the power required by an passive speaker though actives might offer some possibilities; the audio section of a 'video sender' perhaps? But they are not renowned for rock solid RF performave given the fact that they share the spectrum used by your microwave oven, your ADSL router and the neighbour's doorbell!

The item you linked to is said to be digital and the encode/decode process would almost certainly introduce a delay as you anticipated yourself.

5. paul-av-tech

paul-av-tech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not so easy - dont forget wireless will get the SIGNAL to the back of the room - but then you need a power amp to run the speaker. Also the surround amp will need individual line outs to drive the transmitter (not a good idea to do it from the speaker terminals :) )

Philips manufacturerd a CTV with wireless surround speakers. They had problems with interference - the 'modification' to make it more robust was to hard wire them!

I would seriously look again, surely the cabling can be hidden somewhere? Can they not be left loose until the next redecorating spree?

Speakers with built in power amps are available, then you will need an audio transmitter. An expensive option...

Time delay would not be an issue imho