Question Wireless Rear Speakers to complete my 5.1 set up

Ash05

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the Home cinema set up and have started building my kit up. I have so far managed to connect up my Samsung 65inch LED tv with Sony STR1080DN receiver, Wharfedale Sw150subwoofer, QAcoustics 3090ci center speaker and Dali Spektor 2 front speakers. I am looking for some wireless rear speakers to complete a 5.1set up. Any recommendations without breaking the bank? If not any recommendations to make regular rear speakers wireless (unable to find any kits in UK for it)? I am currently unable to run wires for the rear speakers and hence the conundrum.

Would highly appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

If you swapped the AV Receiver to a Yamaha, then you could use the MusicCast system to add wireless speakers with ease. It will be a more costly option, but most wireless addon's don't come cheap. If you can, the cheapest option though is to use very discrete speaker cable like our miniature cabling

The only other option I can remember was the KEF Wireless System SP3552 which included a speaker cable connection which would enable you to connect the transmitter to the existing surround channels speaker terminations and then the two receives which require an mains connection to power the 50w digital amp to drive each speaker. Speaker cable is still required to each of the the the rear speakers to.

Kef also included this option with a slightly different package for the KHT5005 wireless system which gives you a second option to find this solution. other than that, you really are looking at Yamaha for traditional av receiver setup at the moment (or at least that's as far as I'm aware)

Even wireless speakers require a power cable.

A thin speaker cable and some trunking along your skirting board and it's a near-invisible as it gets.

If you swapped the AV Receiver to a Yamaha, then you could use the MusicCast system to add wireless speakers with ease. It will be a more costly option, but most wireless addon's don't come cheap. If you can, the cheapest option though is to use very discrete speaker cable like our miniature cabling

The only other option I can remember was the KEF Wireless System SP3552 which included a speaker cable connection which would enable you to connect the transmitter to the existing surround channels speaker terminations and then the two receives which require an mains connection to power the 50w digital amp to drive each speaker. Speaker cable is still required to each of the the the rear speakers to.

Kef also included this option with a slightly different package for the KHT5005 wireless system which gives you a second option to find this solution. other than that, you really are looking at Yamaha for traditional av receiver setup at the moment (or at least that's as far as I'm aware)
thanks Shane....I think both options are ruled out... May just need to look at cabling but need to convince the partner first.

Even wireless speakers require a power cable.

A thin speaker cable and some trunking along your skirting board and it's a near-invisible as it gets.
Cheers.. No issues with power as that's available at the back.. Running wires from the receiver to the speakers was the issue..
Looks like that's becoming my only option :)

Decent trunking just looks like skirting board. It doesn't have to be a square chunky block.

Easy way to convincer her if she’s on board for having the upgrade! Show her mains cable thickness of a sky box. Then the mains cable from your modem. The speaker cable will be closer to modem cable whereas the wireless cable will require mains plug and it’ll usually be the thickness of the sky mains infinity lead I’ve mentioned

The partner doesn't like it.. Just need to find a solution that will please her :)

Yesterday I posted the outcome of my mini-project:

I've been dreading running cables for years for very similar reasons ("can't be done / can't look good"), but as it turns out, it's not that complex (or ugly) 😎

The partner doesn't like it.. Just need to find a solution that will please her :)
Send her out for the day lift the carpet at the edge with the skirting board you will see the carpet grip rods the underlay will be against it if there's a gap run the cables along the edge if there's no gap just cut some of the underlay away and run the cables in the gap then replay the carpet and push it back onto the grid rods. Job done completely perfect finish. Under my carpet I have the rear speaker cable, sub cable, cat6 cable and virgin media coaxial cable and this is the end result a couple of speaker cables is no problem

Attachments

• 20201219_160557.jpg
    20201219_160557.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20201219_160537.jpg
    20201219_160537.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 126
Under carpets is the way I’ve just gone. Still some work to do for me to remove sight of all cables, but an easy enough job. Even debating drilling into the lower part of my speaker stands and the carpet to remove sight of all wires. I’ve also laid an additional set of wires in case I chose to go down the Atmos route at a later stage, might be worth considering.

Attachments

• 6AA3FCDD-B4B0-4D66-BEBC-5CC693F91531.jpeg
    6AA3FCDD-B4B0-4D66-BEBC-5CC693F91531.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 112
  • E21C6386-6417-4D9E-95E5-E973D8A7BD39.jpeg
    E21C6386-6417-4D9E-95E5-E973D8A7BD39.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 106
Under carpets is the way I’ve just gone. Still some work to do for me to remove sight of all cables, but an easy enough job. Even debating drilling into the lower part of my speaker stands and the carpet to remove sight of all wires. I’ve also laid an additional set of wires in case I chose to go down the Atmos route at a later stage, might be worth considering.
I'd cut the underlay and put the cables in the gap between the grip rodes and underlay its neater and the cables are lower

Lift the carpet and run the speaker cable along the gap between the carpet gripper sticks and the skirting board. If the gap is too small, just trim some underlay and run the cable on the other side.

It will be hidden. If you use wireless rear speakers, you'll still need to hide the power cables running to each speaker if she doesn't want any cabling showing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom