Wireless Protocols

Padraig H

I'm looking to buy a laptop for the first time. I live in a large ground floor flat. My main use for the laptop would be been able to access the internet with Wi Fi. throughout my flat, garden etc. How can I tell if my desktop PC Router is 802.11n and the wireless card installed in the laptop supports 802.11n. I'm told 802.11n is the best range. I've never used WI Fi so this all new to me.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
What is the model name of your router? The laptop specification should state 802.11n or 802.11g/n or just "Wireless N" if it has support. Most modern laptops will have 802.11n wireless support.

irradiated

Novice Member
chances are the router and the wifi card will be faster than your internet can provide anyways and usually they are all compatible, so an n router and a g card would work or even the other way around

Padraig H

Bought the laptop this afternoon, which has an n card. I see what you mean regarding ISP speed, but doesn't it double the indoor range of the g version.Anyway I still got to sort out the router.

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Yes you usually get better range when using a Wireless N router combined with an N card in the laptop however your router is NOT a Wireless N router so your laptop will connect using 802.11g instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom