Wireless problems What am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Leprekorn, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Leprekorn

Leprekorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi
    I have recently purchased a 2nd hand xbox which i am trying to get online wirelessly (sp.). I have a Netgear DG834GT router connected to my Pc upstairs and a WGE111 wireless bridge connected to my XBox downstairs. However I just can not get the xbox to connect with the bridge. From reading on here people seem to be able to get these to work but i am having no joy. Can someone please help.

Thanks The Lep.

2. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    OK, firstly you need to get the bridge on the same ip scope as your router. Funnily enough, I just set a WGE111 up at the weekend. There is a little utility you need to run on your host pc to set the scope etc. So basically, this is what you do:

1. Determine the ip address of your router. To do this, open a command prompt on your pc and type ipconfig /all. This will show the ip address of your pc and the default gateway, which is your router's ip address. Take a note of this.

2. Web browse to your router. Take a note of the SSID and check if security is enabled. If it is, take a note of the encryption type (WEP 64, 128 etc), key and passphrase.

3. Connect the bridge to your host pc with the supplied ethernet cable. Ensure it is in infrastructure mode by the slider switch on the back of the bridge. Run the config utility on the bridge CD .Scan for all available wireless networks and you should pickup the SSID of your wireless network. If not, it may be that the ip scope on the bridge is different from the router. If you see the SSID, connect to it (you may still need the security details) and skip the next 2 parts.

4. The default ip address of the bridge is 192.168.0.202. You will need to change your ip scope on your pc network adapter to connect to the bridge. Right-click "my network places" on your desktop, choose properties, right-click on your network connection, properties, Internet protocol (tcp/ip), properies. If "Obtain an ip address automatically" is selected select "Use the following ip address". Otherwise take a note of the ip address, subnet and gateway shown. Enter an ip address within the bridge scope, eg 192.168.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway is not required. Save these settings.

5. Now web browse to 192.168.0.202. Change the ip address to an address within the router's scope and if there is security on the wireless network, enter the security type and passphrase. Use the passphrase to generate the key and this should be the same as the one you took a note of from your router. Save these settings and you will lose the connection from your pc. Change your pc's ip settings back to what they were before you changed them. You took a note of them, right?

That's your bridge setup. Now for your Xbox.

Connect the bridge to the Xbox. Assuming the Xbox is not modded, go to the network settings on the MS Dash and select to obtain an ip address by DHCP (automatic). Now reboot the Xbox and it should obtain an ip address assigned by your router and it will now be connectable. If the box is modded, set your dashboard network settings for DHCP enabled. The bridge is transparent in this.

I'm working entirely by memory on this, so forgive me if I have left anything out or descriptions are a little convoluted.

3. Leprekorn

Leprekorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ok I'm confused. The wirelessbridge worked fine with my ps2 and it could see my network. I only have one ethernet port on my pc and thats what the router is connected to. So if i disconnect the router wont the network go down. So they bridge wont me able to see it.

What I really don't understand is why if the bridge could be seen with the ps2 it can't with the xbox. Sorry to be thick. i really apreciate the help you are giving me.

4. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Disconnect the router to set the bridge up, reconnect it when you're finished.

If it was the case that the bridge worked with your PS2 (which you neglected to state in your original post) then you probably just need to set your Xbox network settings to DHCP and it will pick up the address automatically.