• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wireless problem

broooce

Standard Member
Just bought a netgear DG834GT modem router, I have all the connections right and the correct lights on the router. When I switch the pc on it does not seem to pick up the router, I go to interent explorer and type in the info to configure the router but nothing happens.

Tried ringing netgear and got someone I could barely understand, went through a few things and then he disconnected the call once it was too difficult for him.

Any ideas?

AMCross

Prominent Member
if you type 192.168.0.01 into the address bar does it give you an error

broooce

Standard Member
comes up with the page not found, does not appear connected and does not go to setup wizard page.

Also on the box it says there is an installation cd but I only have a resource cd?

AMCross

Prominent Member

AMCross

Prominent Member
ignore me just noticed that you have just bought it :boring:

AMCross

Prominent Member
if its defo plugged in correctly then its sounds like its faulty :thumbsdow

do you have the lan and internet light lit on the front of the router

timearp

Established Member
Try reseting it to factory settings, never know the config may have been changed by someone. Should tell you how in the manual.

Have you tried to connect through different ports? Maybe one is not working? Tried disabling your firewall?
Can you ping through a dos window?
Is the IP address of the PC correct?

Sure you've probably checked some/all of these but worth checking again!

broooce

Standard Member
have checked device manager and it says I have no ethernet controller driver and i have no installation cd so i guess this is what is stopping the router from working, does anyone agree?

timearp

Established Member
Open up network connections on your desktop/start menu. Do you have a network port there (LAN)? if so its fine.

When you connect the Router to the PC with the cable do you get the 2 computers in the bottom right corner of your pc? if so then its ok, open up a dos window and type 'ipconfig/all' this will tell you a bit more about if your connected. Are your IP Settings set to DHCP? Maybe it's not picking up an IP address.

graystreet

Prominent Member
have checked device manager and it says I have no ethernet controller driver and i have no installation cd so i guess this is what is stopping the router from working, does anyone agree?

Have you also looked under "Network adaptors" and see if anything is listed under there?

broooce

Standard Member
Open up network connections on your desktop/start menu. Do you have a network port there (LAN)? if so its fine.

When you connect the Router to the PC with the cable do you get the 2 computers in the bottom right corner of your pc? if so then its ok, open up a dos window and type 'ipconfig/all' this will tell you a bit more about if your connected. Are your IP Settings set to DHCP? Maybe it's not picking up an IP address.

No LAN or the 2 computers, also nothing showing up in network adapters so i guess that its down to the lack of ethernet controller driver?

graystreet

Prominent Member
Just to confirem, your post is titled "wireless problem" you are connecting to the router with a PC attached via an ethernet cable to set it up aren't you?
Sorry if this sounds obvious :)

timearp

Established Member
No LAN or the 2 computers, also nothing showing up in network adapters so i guess that its down to the lack of ethernet controller driver?

If you go into the BIOS settings, is the LAN port enabled? If you go into Device Settings is there any with a Question mark on them? If so you may be able to re-enable it from there, the drivers are standard from MS so they should be on your PC already.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom