Wireless problem

jinder

Established Member
Reaction score
Had my wireless sorted out a few weeks ago, and worked fine from the off. but a few days ago it decides to disconnect itself?!

I know the router is fine because when connected through an Ethernet cable it is fine, but when wireless (to Windows 7 laptop) it has problems.

Does anybody know what the problem and/or soloution could be??

Sounds very much like an interference issue.

In the Networking forum there are loads of threads describing how to check you locale for wifi interference.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

But It also happens in the middle of the night when there could be no-one obstructing the connection.

Thanks alot for the help mickevh

I think he was referring more to possible neighbours with wireless networks sharing the same channel, if you download yourself a copy of InSSIDer and run this you will see all the neighbouring networks and what channel they are using, try and make sure you're not on the same channel as them, this might help.

I don't think that's the problem becuase when I contatced talktalk, they said there is this thing I can do to see what my router is doing, by using another password and stuff and that tells me what speed it's running at, how many times its dropped the connection and channel number etc...not sure for the technical term of it.

Could the router be faulty? I would like an east stop to this problem, getting on my nerves now lol

But you said in your first post that everything is ok if you connect to the router via cable?

Which sounds like the problem is with the wireless network?

Yeah that's right.

But I have no idea on how to fix it.

Will have to ring them I think

Have you tried downloading a copy of InSSIDer to see if you have a channel conflict with neighbours?
It sounds the most likely and is easy to resolve, would save you the time and effort of calling up your ISP...

inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner | MetaGeek

I didn't download that no, as the problem develops.

The connection also disconnects with Ethernet cable and re-connects randomly after some time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom