Wireless Problem/UPNP

Johnny P

Up until fairly recently, I had a very annoying problem concerning my PS3 and wireless network.

Whenever another wireless device was switched on - laptop, PS3 etc, all other wireless devices would be signed out for a split second.

This wasn't a big deal on laptops, as it was hardly noticeable. As a matter of fact, you wouldn't be able to notice it unless you have the connection notifications on the taskbar enabled.

On the PS3, especially when playing online, it was a different matter entirely as it would boot me out of whatever game I was in.

I eventually rectified this, but am still not too sure how I managed to do so. I think it may have been when I changed the channel on my router.

My PS3 is in a DMZ, has been assigned a static IP address and all other things people recommend.

I recently noticed that UPNP was unavailable, so I enabled that and it became available.

However, whilst that was available, when a certain laptop was switched on, it would disconnect other devices - just as before.

It seems that since I have turned it off, the problem has been resolved.

Just how important is UPNP? Do you chaps have it active/available?

When I have my headset turned on, the conversations sometimes break up and cut out for a split second and then resume. Could this be down to UPNP being unavailable/not active? Or a problem with my headset?

I am currently using a Sony Ericsson headset - the model which a lot of people used before the official headset was released. I can get a new headset if I need to, but it would be pointless if conversations would continue to break up.

So in short, I get booted out of games on the PS3 when another device is turned on, when UPNP is available. When it's not available, I don't seem to get cut off of the PS3 and/or any other wireless device which is active.

Help and/or advice is most welcome.

Cheers

goldwater666

Not sure if this is the same for everyone, but I have PS3 in a DMZ on my router and I have upnp disabled on my PS3.

Dont have any problems with connecting to games / others connecting to me.

comms sometimes drop in and out, but they have done on most games:smashin:

Johnny P

Not sure if this is the same for everyone, but I have PS3 in a DMZ on my router and I have upnp disabled on my PS3.

Dont have any problems with connecting to games / others connecting to me.

comms sometimes drop in and out, but they have done on most games:smashin:

Cheers, mate.

I think I may have to try another headset, as communication tends to cut out on a regular basis. It's only for a split-second, but it makes it difficult to communicate properly.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom