Wireless printing

everitt1984

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

About to take delivery of a new mac and thought I'd sling out my old printer at the same time and go wireless. I keep buying cheap printers that are rubbish and end up costing me a fortune in ink so I'm looking to buy a fairly decent one that'll last me... Apple were offering an epsom one at the time of buying, I'm new to mac so forgive me, but are all printers compatible?

Looking at it only Epsom and HP printers are compatible for the wireless printing with iPad / iPhone, I may as well go for one of those so I can make the most of it with iPad etc if the need ever occurs..

Does anyone currently have a wi fi printer they can recommend?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hello,

About to take delivery of a new mac and thought I'd sling out my old printer at the same time and go wireless. I keep buying cheap printers that are rubbish and end up costing me a fortune in ink so I'm looking to buy a fairly decent one that'll last me... Apple were offering an epsom one at the time of buying, I'm new to mac so forgive me, but are all printers compatible?

Does anyone currently have a wi fi printer they can recommend?

Cheers

I have the HP Photosmart Plus multi-function printer which I use wirelessly with a macbook. Good printer, it has a little colour touchscreen display as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photosmart-Plus-All-Printer-Print/dp/B002KFZLMA

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
If you buy an Airport Express you will effectively convert any existing USB or ethernet printer into a wireless device (thus saving you money).

For what it's worth, I use Xerox Phaser printers.

I use my BT home hub as a wireless printer server, means I dont need to splash out extra on fancy pants wifi printers :p

For what its work I would avoid lexmark printers like the plague, cheap printers, cheaply made and the refills cost a fortune!

The built in functionality in the iPad (since iOS 4.2) only works with certain HP printers but from what I understand the likes of Epson & Canon have their own App that allows printing to their wireless printers.

Personally I have an older USB Epson connected to my TimeCapsule that allows it to effectively be a wireless device for our desktop/ laptops (same as SpinalTap's suggestion). Don't have an iPad and never have had anything on my iPhone I've ever wanted to print to look into if there is anyway of printing directly to it from an i device but I dont think there is.

PS. Dont think that buying a "good printer" will get you away from expensive ink. For my Epson printer it used to cost only £5 difference between a new printer with a full set of inks or buying a full set of inks on their own (of cause actually use generics which are a fraction of the cost)

Ahh I've got an old airport express, I never though of using that! Excellent! The more I think about it the more I think that the printing direct from my ipad/phone the more I think I wont use it! I could use it to print emails, but for the frequency that I'll actually use it I dont think will warrant the need for that specific printer.

What websites do you use for your refills? Figure I'll try and work out cost/size of refills to help decide. I understand a "decent printer" wont get me away from ink costs, but I'm convinced my old Epsom drank ink at a ridiculous rate!

I just bought them from a chap on eBay. Dont know how "legal" they are or the forum rules.... the ones I've had have always been probably 95% the quality and 50% the quantity of ink but at £5 for a complete set -v- what was circa £80 for Epson originals the slight loss in photo prints was fine.

I'm after a wireless printer, including scanner (can this be done wirelessly too?) and ideally one that supports AirPrint for under £80. Any recommendations? And what does everyone make of AirPrint, as easy as it appears?

I'm after a wireless printer, including scanner (can this be done wirelessly too?) and ideally one that supports AirPrint for under £80. Any recommendations? And what does everyone make of AirPrint, as easy as it appears?

I bought the HP photosmart e-all in one, cracking wireless printer/scanner (wireless scanning!). Supports Airprint (main reason i got it!) and yes it is as easy as it appears. Good thing is currently only cost you around £55 quid!

HP Photosmart e-All-in-One Wireless Multifunction Printer | Dixons |

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom