1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless printers and routers?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Xstyle, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    What is the best wireless printer??

I will put my Laptop in my AV cabinet, and get a wireless keyboard and mouse,
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217713&page=2&pp=15

Dependant on which one I get; either (Bluetooth or USB)
    Logitech® diNovo™ Cordless Desktop® for Notebooks
    GYRATION Keyboard... ULTRA PRO

I will also get a wireless router for the broadband internet...
    can the wireless printer work off this?

Please give me recommendations!!?

Thanks,

Sid

[EDIT - 07/01/06]:
    I just added to this post, rather than creating another thread ... and have come to a closer decision on printers:
    Post #71 of this same thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4077530#post4077530
    [/edit]

2. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    If your laptop has bluetooth, the HP BT1300 is a good piece of kit, especially if you already have a printer lying around..

Can't remember exact prices, but I'd guess at around £75, a great piece of kit.

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Belkin have also had a wireless USB print server on the market for quite some time.

6. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Found a great website for information!!

Router:
    Buffalo 54G Wireless Cable/DSL Router with AOSS
    £46.71 delivered

Printer:
    HP Deskjet 6840
    £121.80 delivered

OR

HP Photosmart 2710 all in one (inc. fax & scanner)
    £262.31 delivered

I think it makes sense to go for a Wi-Fi printer.
    What are your opnions on this "state of the art" Buffalo router, and these HP Printers??

Any other recommendations?

p.s. I don't have a laptop, printer, or a router at the moment!
    Thinking of getting the Sony Vaio FS295VP laptop:
    £1079 delivered
    However, Wireless Homes was very surprisingly the cheapest I've ever seen it, at £899 +vat = £1059! Astonishing considering their prices for other products. (But they do have great service...)

Sid

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I have a linksys print server much better idea, means i print from anywhere i have one with 2 parralell but USB ones are available, so that way you can use any printer!

8. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    HD... links please?

Is the Baffalo Router not also a print server?
    what is "2 paralell"?
    I want the printer to not have to be near the router... i.e. maybe on different floors?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    parallel ports for older printers see here: http://www1.linksys.com/international/group.asp?coid=6&grid=33&scid=37
    Netgear etc all do them

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_print_server_wgps606.php

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...rking/WirelessNetworking/80211gWi...tworking/

Suggest you use same brand as router for ease of use set-up etc. I use linksys, D-link, Edimax and US Robotics all mixed up only have my laser hanging off server at the moment but looking for a colour inkjet (old stock second hand) for colour (dont like USB printers but thats all you can get these days

10. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Would it not be easier to get a router and print server in one?

Does the Buffalo item above not do that?
    The advantage of the Buffalo is that it has ASOS, press a button and it encrypts without effort.

Firewall:
    Is it worth having both SPI and NAT firewall?
    (like in the Asus as mentioned above)

I think I'm going to get confused now!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    to enable wep is so easy why spend more on buffalo if you use Dynamic addressing you are pretty secure too most routers include a hardware firewall which you just use to lock out unused ports old comm ports are how most hackers gain access to PC's
    If you want the router close to your Phone socket ie in lounge hall etc and leave printer upstairs you need 2 boxes..........all you need is this :http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=667
    and this:http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=447
    and wireless on laptop and any other machines in house.

THis is NOT a printserver:http://www.blueunplugged.com/Produc...DSL_Router_with_AOSS__WBR2_G54.aspx?ptnrSrc=2

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    ASOS sounds like a world of hurt in a button... ;)

but you definitely want both NAT/SPI on your firewall.. most of the WAP/Router devices out there will do this by now I would have thought..

The Netgear models certainly do, but I rarely play with the other brands mentioned so can't comment with any confidence on the rest..

13. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Q1:
    Is a Print Server primarily for more than one printer and/or computer?

Q2:
    I will have just one laptop and one printer... so will just a router suffice for my needs?
    (one that has NAT & SPI firewalls)

Q3:
    Printers connect via USB ports???
    But I thought you won't need USB if you're using the Wireless 802.11g?

Q4:
    And I'll have to get a wireless printer with 802.11g... can't use an older printer (as HD says initially) as I may not have the printer & server/router in the same place?

Sorry if I'm sounding thick! Not having seen any USB connects / wireless gear I find it hard to digest the information... but I appreciate all you guys' patience!

14. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Do you have bluetooth on the laptop?

If you do, and this is the only PC using the printer, I wouldn't worry about print servers, and just get a bluetooth adapter and ANY printer you like..

There are also plenty of WiFi adapters that slot in a USB port, go this way if you don't have bluetooth, or prefer the WiFi route...

Q1 - Yes

Q2 - Yes

Q3 - If the printer has onboard wireless yes, other wise you need the USB port to add the wireless adapter.

Q4 - If you go bluetooth, all you need is the printer sitting somewhere near the laptop.. if that answers the question?

:)

15. MattTheBeanster

MattTheBeanster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    my vote is for a canon ip4000r around £140.

and to answer a couple of your questions. Q1: yes it is, Q3: if you go wireless you don't need usb.

darn too slow.

16. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I don't want to have to plug bits in the laptop's usb (no bluetooth inside).
    So as Wireless Homes said in my initial thread, a wireless router and a wireless printer.
    Thats it?

Routers...
    - The Downside of the Buffalo is that it only has SPI firewall, I would like NAT too.
    + The Positive is that it has ASOS, click a button and its all encrypted.

So I guess I continue to look...

With these other wireless routers mentioned, how easy/hard is it to set up the encryption? (For a novice like me!) What have you got to do?

I also understand the wireless printer will need to be given an IP address.
    How do you do that?

I'll have a look round for Printers, tho the Canon seems good.
    The Canon iP400R
    http://www.photo-i.co.uk/News/Aug04/ip4000r.htm

17. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Yep, that's all you need.

And you *** MUST*** get a firewall with NAT, The internet will get you one day, if you dont.... :devil:

I wouldn't worry about the one touch encryption ( Or rather I would worry! :D )

as already mentioned, all Wireless routers come with WEP, which is as easy to set up as ticking a box in the router config screen.

If the printer has built in networking, there will be a way of configuring IP settings from the printer control panel itself.

The exact details vary printer to printer, so you'll need the manual for this bit.
    It's easy enough though, and once we know what you have we can always help.

18. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    SPI = "Stateful Packet Inspection"
    NAT = "Network Address Translation"

Apparently the Buffalo AOSS WBR2-G54 does have NAT support, as well as SPI. See:
    http://www.wireless4u.co.uk/products/fulldetails.asp?catalog_code=WBR2-G54&zonename=soho

Wireless Homes also emailed me to confirm that.

Why would u worry?

:confused:

19. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    I'm an IT guy... anything that claims to 'configure itself' should be Atomised and then thrown into a black hole. :D

As long as you've got NAT & SPi then it's a 'proper' firewall and should do the job nicely.
    I can't comment on the Buffalo kit specifically though.. Other than I don't personally know anybody who uses one.

I swear by Netgear for home kit, the 2 guys working for me swear by LinkSys and 3COM respectively....

It's a funny ol' game..... :rolleyes:

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Xstyle does the lapto have WiFi built in (802.11A/B/G) etc? if so its easy to get it all working if you follow the instructions i still think a wireless printer is a worse option than a prinserver as your choice will be very limited.......

21. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't go wrong with the IP4000r.............excellent printer :smashin:

22. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Decided to go for the Sony Vaio FS295XP Laptop:
    http://www.technoworld.com/laptops/Sony_Vaio_FS295XP.htm

Yes, its WiFi 802.11b/g. ...and other very good specs.

Linksys is recommended by Sony too, and all my IT family also recommend & use them, so that's the router sorted.

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Gateway WAG54G
    £52.59 from Comet
    http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/117_171212.html

Unsure on the Linksys Wireless Print Server WPS11-UK£85 from Ebuyer
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=49708

The Printer will be mainly used to print high quality photo's, and the odd other bit of printing... like Word, and website info etc ...and I can wait for that if some better printers will be out soon...
    and even if I go for the Canon IP4000R
    £158 delievered from Pixmania
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/54736/art/canon/pixma-ip4000r-printer.html?srcid=36#avisconso
    ...it is still a very good printer (judging by the reviews)
    Prints on DVD/CD's etc... which is great to have... a function I would use.

I was originally looking to get an Epson Stylus printer:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/products/product_hub/Product_Listing_Inkjets_Photo.htm
    ...can't remember which one now!
    But they're not wireless, and don't know how they would compare to the Canon (in similar price range)

23. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  24. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would recommend the Canon ip4000R if you really need wireless. The Canon is cheap to run and very good quality. I bought the ip4000 in the end as I did not need wireless. eBuyer sell both the ip4000 and ip4000R.

A wired printserver and a ip4000 still come out less than the ip4000R, but there is a lot of convenience if the printer manufacturer handles the wireless. For example with inkjets, you will find that although they work via a printserver, the supplied utilities, which check and see if the ink is low and tell you which tank to replace, will all break and report errors because they cannot communicate over the network. I would steer clear of Epson if you have to use any kind of print server as you have to disable the spooler part of the driver to make them work.

Two good sites to check for reviews of AOSS and hardware routers are

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

The auto configure is supposed to work well and is no bad thing. Personally I would always lock down a wireless network. Do not bother with WEP, any fool with a laptop could crack it in less than 24 hours. There is a series of articles on how to do it on tomsnetworking. The auto configure is for using WPA which is much harder to crack. Generally WEP is known to be flawed and is trvial to crack whereas WPA is recommended. I also suggest that you configure your router to only recognise known MAC addresses. This means you can restrict it to just the printer and the laptop. Its not foolproof but will stop most casual fools. I live in a block of flats and can see 5 open networks around me and could wander in them at will if so inclined. (I will tell you how to configure MAC restriction if you PM me after you have purchased. - so I know which manual to look at))

Also I don't know what kind of building you live in. A detached or semi detached house is best. Flats are a real pain as the number of networks around you will reduce your performance. This is ok if all you do is surf on a 512kb-1Mb connection but could prove a problem if you are intending to stream lots (of uncompressed audio or video). The various G super booster technologies are all a bit nasty and don't generally give the performance you may be led to believe. See tomsnetworking for more.

I gave up on wirless in my place as I am in a flat and all the other routers caused too much iinterference. I have used Linksys, Buffalo, Netgear, DLink and eBuyer own brand routers. I gave up on linksys after it died on me after a bout 18 months. I'd bought it in the US and brought it back to the UK so there was no hope of warranty. Buffalo and dlink were fine, but now I stick to Netgear personally. For most people on a budget I have to say that the eBuyer ones are very good. But you have to configure them yourself, but its not too hard (I can PM recommended settings).

Finally a quick note on some of the other jargon. You can have an SPI firewall and it is fairly common nowadays, but not guaranteed. It is still used to get more money for and otherwise commodity product. NAT is built into every router and it is essential. Basically it is the protocol that allows you to have your own private network that is hidden behind the single (and usually dynamic) IP address that you are given by your ISP. For Internet security it is generally the NAT and the router that block most worms etc. Some security firms have stated that the half life of a directly attached unmodifed Windows machine is 12 minutes if directly connected. Anyone connected without a router eg by USB or Cable modem directly attached to you PC is mad unless they have a software firewall such as Norton Firewall of Windows ICF. Even if you have a router your must also have uptodate antivirus software.

The SPI basically is more sophisticated than the basic port blocking that most routers do. But unless you are doing something clever you may not need this. Something clever would be running a homeserver of some kind, eg Webcam, TIVOWeb, Quake Server...

Sorry to be a bit long. I am happy to expand on anything, but I wanted to keep the explanations short.

25. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    "I'm an IT guy... anything that claims to 'configure itself' should be Atomised and then thrown into a black hole. "

Sound advice. We share scars and agree on this.
    For Joe Q public though its tempting. Windoze and Networking just too darned hard to manage propelry for the non IT bod - hence the market and the hacking.
    Am agreeing with you Dude - last thing I want to do is pee on your carpet.

26. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    LINKSYS WIRELESS-G BROADBAND ROUTER WITH SPEEDBOOSTER
    WRT54GS
    http://www.misco.co.uk/SSinfo/~47997~/Linksys+Wireless-G+Broadband+Router+with+SpeedBoos.htm

LINKSYS ADSL MODEM & 54G WIRELESS ROUTER
    WAG54G
    http://www.misco.co.uk/SSinfo/~45970~/LINKSYS+ADSL+MODEM+&+54G+WIRELESS+ROUTER.htm

What are the main differences please?
    From what I can see:
    The WAG has Digital Signalling Protocol, it's not listed for the WRT?

Also the WAG seem sto have more features which the WRT does not, or are they just not listed?... and the Encryption methods?

WAG:
    Digital Signal Protocol: ADSL
    Features: Firewall protection, switching, NAT support, VPN, auto-uplink, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), DoS attack prevention
    Encryption Algorithim: 64bit & 128 bit WEP

WRT:
    Digital Signal Protocol: Not listed
    Features: Auto-uplink, Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI), MAC address filtering
    Encryption Algorithim: AES, TKIP

Not that I understand any of that!? Anybody wanna have a go at simplifying it for me :lease: ?

27. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I phoned Micso's technical dept, and they said the WRT does not include an ADSL modem, so you would need to get a seperate modem with an ethernet port.

Think the WAG54G is the way to go then ...

28. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Does the Linksys WAG54G have WPA?? (It does have NAT, SPI & WEP)
    If not, what router does?
    Thanks

29. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    the Netgear 834 models def. use WPA if desired, not sure about the Linksys WAG54G device mentioned, but I'd be suprised if they didn't by now..

30. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143