Wireless printer BT home hub and Virgin router

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by aemillia, Jan 28, 2009.

1. aemillia

aemillia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently changed from BT to Virgin Media for phone and broadband (XL). I have now got the Virgin broadband up and running with out any issues, and want to connect a new Epson printer to the old BT wireless router for us all to use. ( We have two laptops and two PC's in the house, all wireless)
    Question: How can I connect to the wireless BT router and use the printer while I am also connected to the Virgin router. I have the printer and BT wireless router upstairs, they are connceted via a USB cable.
    The Virgin router is a Netgear WGR614.

2. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    I guess that you are trying to use the old BT HH as a wired or WiFi Print Server?

First of all I found that the HH as a printer server was pretty hopeless and that function was never supported. To use it as a printer server you'd need to switch off its DHCP server and connect it it to the Netgear with an Ethernet cable. If it is a HH 1.0 or 1.5, You MAY be able to connect it using WDS (HH 2.0 does not support WDS) but you will have to downgrade your WiFi security to WEP. This site has some good hints and tips BT Home Hub explored

If I was you, I'd forget it and buy an Ethernet or WiFi Print Server. That is what I did for one of our printers and I have many spare HHs and know what I am up to!

3. aemillia

aemillia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between my BT wireless router and a WiFi print server..? Or a standard wireless router .?

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    All domestic routers have roughly the same basic features and function with some having bits that other don't. (One key difference being that one type has a built-in ADSL modems for use on the telephone line and the other does not because they are for use with a Cable Modem.) I don't know what you had from BT because you haven't said, and so I guessed a Home Hub which has an undocumented and unsupported USB port.

A WiFi (or wired for that matter) printer server is a small box that you allows you to turn a USB printer into a network attached printer.

I'd be inclined to bin the BT router (whatever it may be) and stick to the virgin one now that you have Cable Broadband.

5. aemillia

aemillia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My BT router is the first one they issued,the white one with the phone. I don't have the phone now as I chopped it up with an axe to stop the kids using it to phone their mates mobiles. I had mobile call barring on the standard house phone but they figured out that they could use the internet phone too and started to run up the phone bill.
    I want to put the printer upstairs and connect to it wireless, away from the virgin router as there is more space upstairs to house the printer.. The virgin wireless router is in the living room down stairs.

6. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    You had a Home Hub 1.0 (not quite "the first one that BT issued").

My suggestion that you buy a Wireless Printer Server stands.

7. aemillia

aemillia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks. it seems easier to do that!