1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless PC to TV connectivity?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by vipergrm, Sep 18, 2005.

1. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    I have just recently purchased a 32" LCD TV by Acer and I want to use it's HDTV capabilities. However, here in the UK there are currently no DTV providers that offer this content. It seems the only way to play HDTV content would be via PC to TV. The problem is that it is not very convenient for my PC to connect to the TV (they're on different floors!).

Is there some kind of wirless device I can get to enable me to do this?

Also, I have heard about this Buffalo Cinema device that has wireless connectivity etc and seems quite versatile but it seemed to have got very bad reviews so I'm not sure about that.

I would appreciated any help you can provide.

Thank You once again! :smashin:

2. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I've read a few things about sending high-def material wirelessly and it doesn't sound very promising as some of the higher bit-rate stuff won't stream smoothly, never tried it myself though.

3. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    That was certainly something I was/am worried about :confused:

4. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The pinnacle ShowCentre 200 has good reviews and there is also the Snazio 1350 (my preference as it will upscale DVDs).

There is a lot of the discussion regarding wifi speed (54G considered a minimum) and HD transfer rate (i think both deivces max out at ~15Mbps but some HD is ~20Mbps)

Both have detailed threads on this forum.

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Seems a bit silly to write it all again,..... so check THIS out for some information/options. :D

6. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Showcenter 200 thread is here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227029

Maximum bitrate for wireless media streaming is around 12Mbps for these media streamers, which is fine for all the WMV-HD and MPEG4 (XVID, DIVX) media available on the net. If you want to watch the "illegally downloaded" MPEG2 HiDef stuff from the US, then any wireless media streamer will probably struggle with the very high bitrates needed for MPEG2 HiDef media.

7. carlwi

carlwi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the Buffalo Link Theater connected to my Sammy HD panel and ended up using a wired connection to my PC. Only the lowest bit rate SD material would play over my wireless connection (Netgear 54G AP), and even then I would still get occasional stalls and all this with excellent wireless reception on the device.

To be honest since i've had it wired to my PC, the thing is amazing but wireless was a real waste of time for me.

C.

8. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Great advice guys. Wow Monty Burns, you really did go through a lot to get it working wirelessly! To be honest though, I think I'll give the Wireless a miss this time. i think I'll wait until the X-Box 360 comes out. Surely there will be mods for this so you can use it as a Media Centreand Hi Def??? I wonder is it just a standard hard drive or could you connect a USB Hard Drive to the X-Box 360? Just a couple of thoughts as Hi Def content seems to take up a HELL of a lot of space.

Seems that wireless hasn't quite cracked it yet for Hi Def. Thank you to everyone out there who has contributed. You really have cleared up some stuff for me!