1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless PC to Stereo

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by andloumeg, May 20, 2005.

1. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully a nice easy one for someone to help me with!
    I currently have my PC in the hallway, and want to connect it wirelessly to my stereo in another room.
    Can anyone suggest something that will not cost the earth (woman trouble!), but will transmit good quality sound to my amp?
    ....I would also possibly be looking to extend the system to other stereos in the future, although this isn't essential at the moment.
    Also, I know I have to make my PC Wireless. How much would I be looking to spend on a good quality adaptor??
    I have seen the Apple Airport Express; is this up to the job??
    Sorry if this seems too basic, but I just need a few pointers

2. U187146

U187146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at doing the same thing. Quite a good review of "streaming" devices in this month;s "Stuff" mag. The following seem to come out tops:

Roku Soundbridge
    Slim Devices Squeezebox 2

These are pricey at £175-200. Netgear MP101 appears to do much the same thing. Apple Airport Express also does similar type of thing, though you can't control what tracks you want to play without going back to the PC, which sort of defeats the object in my view.

My ultimate is being able to control PC & Amp from the same room as speakers (which may be different to that of the PC / Amp). Need some sort of Wireless remote device, as IR doesn't go through rooms. Any ideas anyone ??

3. surfermc

surfermc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just taken the plunge after reading a couple of threads including the best MP3 jukebox and bought a Roku Soundbridge from mycomputerbits.com. Their prices seem to be very competitive at the moment. :thumbsup:

It was a good excuse also to upgrade the broadband router to wireless. I got the e-buyer special,

I'm also in the process of setting up the Linksys NSLU2 connected to a Maxtor USB drive as a mt-daapd music server, but these could be served from your pc if you want.

I would recommend the Soundbridge and it got the bonus of playing Internet Radio.

Martin

4. andloumeg

andloumeg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this.
    On the sound bridge...Does it include the adaptor to make my PC wireless (i.e. will it work straight out of the box?), or do I still need to make my PC wireless first??

5. surfermc

surfermc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Roku are currently doing a deal including a Wireless card. This is for the Roku though. You still need to make the Network you are on wireless. Or you can use the Roku with a wired connection.

If your broadband connection is handled by a seperate router ie not by the PC then you don't need the PC switched on to access the internet radio stations. You need some form of server on to deliver the the MP3 files. In my case I've gone for the NSLU2 with mt-daapd, which is a tiny Linux server.

Martin