• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wireless or BlueTooth Headphones for TV & Movie Viewing

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Just moved house and the Kef 2005.3 Egg speakers and Onkyo Amp are just too loud for the middle floor of our townhouse. Racked my brains for a solution and I think the only way forward is for headphones to avoid waking my 5 year old Son and/or my Wife in the bedrooms above when viewing TV and Movies at night.

Looking for some advice on what headphones to get now. Don't want the hassle of a cable and my Panasonic P50GT50 has BlueTooth built in for the 3D glasses which I am told can also be used for headphones.

1. BlueTooth or Wireless?
2. Surround Sound Mode a Silly Concept?
3. Suggestions as to quality headphones that fit TV and Movie viewing?
4. The Sony MDR-DS6500's came up in conversation today and they supposedly do 7.1 Dolby and DTS? Anyone got any experience of them? Are they as ugly in reality as on the Sony site?
5. Is there a different solution I haven't thought of?

Cheers guys.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Bluetooth has limited bandwidth for audio so you may not get the best sound that way, wireless should offer better sound quality.

jamung

Established Member
Larkone is right, sound quality on bluetooth isn't good. Something like Sennheiser RS160 or RS170 is a good buy. It uses Kleer wireless and the sound quality is much better than Bluetooth. It can range up to 80m. These are only stereo headphones unfortunately.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
Fair enough. I just thought BlueTooth had moved on somewhat after the awesome sound I get from the sound system in my Touran. Sounds better than the dock connector in the same vehicle.

Will check out the Kleer based models then. Does this interfere with WiFi Signal at home at all?

I think the above mentioned Sony model uses Kleer.

stevebez

Established Member
Is Bluetooth 3.0/4.0 still limited in data transfer to an extent that it can compromise sound quality?

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I am not sure on this one tbh, but I do know that my 4S plays far better quality audio via Bluetooth in our 2012 Touran than the direct dock connector does. Higher volume too.

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
Do you game? What about some TB's?

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I do game on and off. Planning to play more, now I have moved and things are coming together room layout wise.

Gone off the boil a bit on the headphones as had other things to buy first, but will start looking again soon.

TB's?

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
I do game on and off. Planning to play more, now I have moved and things are coming together room layout wise.

Gone off the boil a bit on the headphones as had other things to buy first, but will start looking again soon.

TB's?

Turtle Beach's

I have X41's (c. £120) and PX5's (c. £150) both of which are wireless, have pretty damn good sound (though I'm not an audiophile so they do for my needs) and work with both PS3 & XBOX (at the same time too if you have both). I know there are other (more expensive) wireless sets too or you can get cheaper ones that work on individual systems so you can play and watch movies at same time. Not sure how you'd connect them up to just watch TV with though

TB also have an ebay store where they sell recon units (X41's - £68.75, PX5's - £105). I bought my X41's this way and they looked, felt and smelt brand new

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
While you were typing this I just read about the PX5's on their website. They sound superb in fairness, but the Engadget review said they didn't work well with PSN on the PS3 and the software for programming them was Windows only. Review was from 2011 mind you, so situation could have changed, but I use PSN and only use Apple computers so a bit of an issue of I actually need to program them?

Any experience of them on the PS3 by any chance and what are they like for Movies?

I have an AppleTV too so would be good if they could work with that too?

ODB_69

Distinguished Member
While you were typing this I just read about the PX5's on their website. They sound superb in fairness, but the Engadget review said they didn't work well with PSN on the PS3 and the software for programming them was Windows only. Review was from 2011 mind you, so situation could have changed, but I use PSN and only use Apple computers so a bit of an issue of I actually need to program them?

Any experience of them on the PS3 by any chance and what are they like for Movies?

I have an AppleTV too so would be good if they could work with that too?

TBH I've not took the PX5's out of the box yet but afaik they work fine as a few of the lads I play with on a forum I cannot mention use them and its mostly a PS3 forum. In fact one of the lads even wrote a review of them but I cant link to it as the forum name is a banned word here (LITERALLY ***'d out) :facepalm:

Apple TV I have no idea on I'm afraid, maybe worth dropping TB an email, I think their CS is supposed to be good

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom