Wireless networking

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by zenden, Jun 26, 2004.

1. zenden

zenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question, is wireless networking a lot slower compared to a direct connection in percentage terms for 3 PCs . Tanks for looking.
    Zenden

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    On paper it's only half as fast for a single PC, but it's unlikely that you'll notice any real difference.

As long as you're getting a good signal to each PC 54g wireless is more than fast enough for streaming media etc, and much faster than broadband so OK for online gaming..

If possible, try and get your 'main PC' cabled into the WAP/router ( if it has 10/100 ports ) rather than using wireless.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, on paper only half as fast but in my experience 54mbps is never reached. I've tried several combinations of router & 54g cards but the highest transfer I've managed is 30mbps. All connected with excellent signal strength & quality etc.

Still plenty for gaming/sufring etc. but you'll definitely notice a difference during large file transfers.

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    varies a lot on individual kit i suppose, I use a lot of 3Com and Netgear kit in various installations and have never had problems getting a 54mb connection as long as the signal is good.. anything around -40db (-85db noise) should be OK for 54g wireless..

Have you tried turning off SSID broadcast?
    This really screws with windows XP/2000 wireless networking.. ;)

You must be shifting some huge files to be bothered by the speed of a 30meg connection, what sort of stuff are you working with just out of interest?

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I should have said that throughput was/is the problem rather than connection speed/quality.

I always connect at 54mbps (signal excellent/quality excellent) but throughput never gets near that. Tried with several routers now, Netgear, Linksys etc. & different (all recommended) 54g wireless cards, both PCMCIA & PCI. Always the same results maxing at 30mbps (throughput) but averaging more like 20-25mbps.

Also tried every conceivable setting without wep etc.

I think manufacturers are great with the marketing saying "upto 54mbps" but real world figures are usually half this. TBH I was happier with 11b as it usually approached it's maximum quoted throughout.

I move gigs & gigs of files around the network regularly as PCs evolve, get upgraded, added & removed etc.

:smoke:

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Its just one of those things really i suppose... even wired connections rarely get anywhere near the connection speed in terms of actual throughput..

It's all down to the 'magic' of TCP/IP as far as I can tell..

I would say 30mb throughput is actually pretty good for a '54mb' connection, I've seen a lot less ;)

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Also worth noting that a wireless network will only achieve a maximum speed equivalent to the slowest part of the network. So, you may have multiple 54g wirless connected devices but if just one device on your network is an 802.11b wirless device (iPronto, Wi-Fi PDA, 802.11b Ethernet bridge etc) the whole wireless network will be restricted to 11Mbps. So all those 54g devices will be throttled back to working at 11Mbps :(

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    nah.. you've misunderstood things slightly there..

EDIT - Nope.. I've misunderstood you slightly there.. :blush:

9. zenden

zenden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys all I want it for is to go online and not **** off my sons as they play CS,
    But I think I will?, I will have to wait a couple of years and they have their own place and I can have a life again (ha ha ). Thanks again
    Zenden

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Glad you added that edit :D cos it is quite true. The speed of a wireless network is limited by the speed of the slowest device connected to the access point. A Google search will confirm this (can also look here under Performance)

11. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    I thought you were referring to the whole network slowing down rather than just the WAP the 11b device is connected to.. :)

When somebody says 'network' I get this nightmare picture of clouds and string in my head... :eek: