1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Networking problem

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by dUnKle, Jul 5, 2005.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Basically I can not set one up

I think I had one - in fact I know a few weeks back I did but now its gone

I have a Main PC with Wireless Card
    Laptop with PCMICA Wireless Card
    and a HCPC using a Netgear USB Wireless Adaptor

Each one can connect to the internet using my Netgear Router - each one has a full strong signal

However I can not move files from one to another

I try running the Wireless Wizard - starting on my Main PC and all is fine - but then when I try to run it on the other machines I get an error along the lines of .....

and thats it

How can I get it that ALL my machines in the house talk to each other

2. northernmunki

northernmunki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Go to DOS and type IPCONFIG on each pc and note down the IP address. Probably something like 192.168.1.x where X will be different for each PC. Check they can all ping each other. In DOS type "ping 192.168.1.x" without the quotes and where x is another PC.

2. Ensure Norton firewall or similar has the local network as 'trusted'. If using Windows firewall turn it off and see it that helps.

3. Go to Start/Run and type "\\192.168.1.x" without quotes and see if you get to brows the other PC's shared resources.

4. Ensure "file and print sharing" and "client for microsoft networks" is enabled for the wireless network adaptor. Control panel/network conections and properties for the wireless adaptor.

See how you get on....

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The only other thing to add is that you need the same user account and password on each xp machine for simple file sharing to work properly.

4. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set mine up using the network wizard rather than the wireless wizard. I found using the wireless wizard was less than satisfactory to be honest. The network wizard on the other hand set it all up a treat (once I realised that with XP you have no need to copy files to a flash drive that is).

Might be worth a punt anyway.

Jon.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    How do you do this please

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325

Nice 1 - but should it be taking 30 minutes to transfer 1GB of data ?

7. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set my network up like this but do remember I'm primarily a user as opposed to an IT type of person....

Essentially, you must have your modem and wireless router working and communicating with one of the machines.

Then get a bit of paper/fag packet/spare bit of skin to write down what you want to call your network (that's common) and each computer (do that as you go to each computer).

You must also have run any software for each PC for it's method of wirless connection. I found that these USB wireless dongles almost set themselves up, especially after trying a PCI card which I couldn't get to work for the life of me (but have since).

I know this is simplistic but believe me, as a PC duffer, it really is this simple (so long as each machine runs XP/XP pro/MCE) you go to start, my computer and find network setup wizard but leave the wireless wizard well alone. At least that's what I found after having a go at both. Then follow what it say's.

The first tricky screen is the one that tells you what isn't connected! Those b@rstard Microsoft people have a sick sense of humour it seems to me by offering you the option you don't want. So this first screen will tell you that your local area connection isn't connected and there's a little tick box that you need to tick to carry on.

The next screen gives 3 choices. If you have a modem and wireless router then you tick the second button. If you just have a modem connected to one PC then you click the first one. If you click 'other' then you must be either an IT wizard who knows what they are doing or have just invented a new form of telepathic link to the world wide web.

Then comes the naming of the PC as a description and a name. I do not know why both. Things must have been going well when I set mine up as I called this PC 'Jonny Desktop' and it's description 'main PC', which it is. Had things been a bit frostier between my computor and I, the names could well of reflected that ('this fuggin pile o *****' would be very apt at times).

Then it's workgroup name which by default is MSHOME. I left mine like that as I felt that anyone who came up with that name deserved it to be preserved for ever by a billion networked machines. As a homage to sheer lack of creative thinking. Don't forget to write everything down as you go. I didn't the first time and that's why I have 9 networks set up!

The next box is file sharing. I curently live on my own and did consider why I wouldn't want to file share with myself. Would there be something I didn't want me to see? I decided to stop being stupid and ticked the file and printer sharing box.

Then it gives you a summary. Nice.

Then it sets itself up. Go and celebrate this with a glass of wine.

Next comes the crunch. You get four options to run the network wizard on your other PC's. If like me you think it a good idea to create a disk to share with the other PC's, then off you go (but read the rest of this first!). You could also use the network disc you already have but if you did already have one, then you've either cocked up an earlier network set up or you are an IT wizard. Or you could use your XP CD.

The one you wouldn't really think of using, the 'I don't need to run the wizard on my other computers' (I mean of course you want to run the wizard on your other computers! Don't be silly!) is actually the one you need to select.

Where they get the people who write these bloody menu's from I don't know but I wish they wouldn't.

Then you just repeat the process on each machine and you should be sorted.

I got so frustrated with it that I went to PC world and bought home networking for dummies. The bit where I continually went wrong was by trying to create a network disc and running it on other machines. You dont do that but it was only curtesy of the above book that I discovered this small but vital fact.

I hope this helps and I'd better send this now because as some of you may have guessed, I ran the network wizard on a machine that's already set up, to get the info above. Lord knows what will happen once I reboot. you may never hear from me again (who said good? :)

Jon.