1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless networking headache

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by adieboy, Jul 2, 2005.

1. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Guys,
    I've just installed a wireless "G" router and pci card (Belkin), in order to connect my HCPC to my network. What a disappointment- the range is pathetic- I'm failing to get a good signal, though the direct distance between the machines is less than 30ft- through 1 single-skinned brick wall.
    What are others experiences and what sollutions can youo recommend?
    The router, card and cables cost me £100, so I'm very keen to find a solution.

Cheers Adie

2. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The Netgear WPN824 has the best range of all the routers I've tried recently...

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I get decent signal on the other side of the house with a Netgear router.

Have you tried changing the channel (you might be getting interference from someone else's Wireless LAN) ??

Do you have a cordless phone ?? Most DECT phones use the same frequency as the router so try turning them off to see.

Also I take it your HTPC rig is near your TV ?? If so try just moving it away slightly to see if anything there is interfering with the sigal.

4. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Jameson,
    I've tried all channels, unplugged the phone (took the batterys out of the handset) and I can't separate the telly from the PC, as they are one and the same thing- a tuner card running a front projection system.
    I've tried moving things about a bit but it's not practical to radically re-organize the layout of the room.
    How about external antenna, or new-fangled tech - Pre-N or whatever? Anyone?

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Buy the Netgear WPN824...

6. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi...

I've used the Belkin Pre-N gear and it utterly kicks the backside of *ANY* brand of 'G', 'B', or 'A' for that matter...

Most brands are now doing Pre N stuff... and so far it seems to be up to the hype... higher speeds... better range... more reliability...

HTH...

Mark.

7. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Don't think just buying another router is really an option.

I understand it is a pain to move your PC but I was more thinking about you seeing if you move it whether signal strength improve (not moving it permanently). I know if I move my HTPC rig from under the TV to about 1m away, signal strength goes up to 85-90% and I get speeds of 46Mbps. Under the TV I get 75-85% and speed of 36Mbps ish.

I have thought about another arial as they do seem reasonably cheap and I would have througt would do some good.

Have you tried playing about with the router ?? I am assuming that this is near your PC and perhaps moving it away a little might help. (also play with the arial orientation. I have mine pointing straight up and I know a small 10 degree difference can make a large difference in signal strength.

8. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579