Wireless Network Setup

stevec46

Hi,
I have a linksys wag54b wireless ADSL Router \ modem, I have been using it with my laptop for a few years now, when I set up the laptop I set it up a a shared key (I think that is the only way I could get it to work). Now I want to add my old desktop PC, I have bought one of those wireless USB receivers, sort of works but drops a lot, where as the laptop doesn't.
When I setup the desktop, I used the same key as the laptop and set it as shared, is that correct, or should each device have its own key, as my linksys has 4 wireless ports I have 4 keys I can use.

My desktop only has USB 1,so maybe that is why it drops a lot, or am I better off getting a card to put inside the PC that has an antenna on it?

Thanks in advance for advise,

Steve

UKseless1

Hi Steve

I have the WAG54G. You should use the same encryption key with any wireless device that you want to connect to the network. With regards the signal droping out....you need to be careful with your placement of the router, if you are able to move that try it before rushing out to buy another wireless card. Also, try moving the older PC closer to make sure you have entered the correct encryption key i.e. make sure you are able to connect correctly before you address the issue of signal drop out.

Hope you get it working.

stevec46

Hi Phil,
Thanks for that, I can connect to the internet and sometimes its stable for a short time.

Just had a thought, we use a wireless keyboard, I wonder if that is causing the problem? I will put the old wired one on, I would hope that they use totally different frequencies, so that one doesn't interfere with the other.

Forgot to mention in my original post, the laptop and Router are very close to one another, the PC is upstairs, so could try moving Router, will try the keyboard first!

Steve

stevec46

Another thing that I forgot to mention in the original post is that the USB wirless device is a small one plugs directly into USB port, its not a box with an antenna.

I am watching some Linksys Wireless PCI cards on ebay to see what they go for.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom