Wireless network play avi on your TV device?

mattstan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The broadband wireless router I'm getting in a few days has a USB port so you can connect a hard disk which can then be accessed wirelessly. If I put avi films on it I should be able to watch them on my TV, but what kind of receiver do I need to connect up to my TV to do so? --My web searches just give me those 'share your sky box or dvd player round the house with a transmitter and a receiver' type devices.

I'm sure such things exist just not sure what to use as a search term. Recommendations would be appreciated too.

Many thanks.

Actually I think this is quite tricky. You may need a PC under your TV to do this!

What model is this router? I'm guessing it can emulate a PC with a shared drive, or the storage is accessible via http of ftp.

Modded Xbox with XBMC will do the job

John

Of course you would also need a wireless bridge for that xbox, but yes it would work.

You could also buy a divx/xvid dvd player with a network connection, one of the kiss range for example.

Thanks guys. But...surely there's a dedicated device for this kind of thing?

I think this might be an older version for £100 - maybe email them and ask as it could be the 200.
Otherwise check dabs.com - they have the 200 at £145.

mattstan said:
Thanks man, just what I want. A bit expensive (£190) - anyone know of something cheaper?
There's no guarantee you could get it to work with the disk attached to your router though...

If the wireless router provides universal plug and play (uPnP) for the attached usb drive you may have more luck finding a wireless media streamer that can access the files on the drive without any additional kit. If uPnp is not provided then the router must have some other facility available (e.g. some form of Nas) which will need to be compatible with whatever you want at the other end.

That's my take on it. I've got a Snazzio wireless media player streaming movies from my PC via a wireless router, and it's brill. Not quite what you're wanting to do but along similar lines. Only times it fails is when I switch the microwave on!

Thanks for your replies guys.

PAH said:
If the wireless router provides universal plug and play (uPnP) for the attached usb drive you may have more luck finding a wireless media streamer that can access the files on the drive without any additional kit. If uPnp is not provided then the router must have some other facility available (e.g. some form of Nas) which will need to be compatible with whatever you want at the other end.

That's my take on it. I've got a Snazzio wireless media player streaming movies from my PC via a wireless router, and it's brill. Not quite what you're wanting to do but along similar lines. Only times it fails is when I switch the microwave on!

It says it does have uPnP, see link.
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=12&l2=43&l3=0&model=1121&modelmenu=1

You say if it has uPnP 'you may have more luck' but don't say it will work. How do I tell if any wireless media player is compatible with the hard disk attached to my router? If it isn't will I still be able to use a hard disk on a windows pc which is connected via a RJ45 to my wireless router?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm a wireless newbie.

If it's any use, I use a Showcentre 200 taking files from the hard drive, this gives a nice menu interface for Movies, Music, Internet radio and Pictures, I also have a Freecom FSG NAS (UPnP) perhaps similar to a router connected hard drive, this works but just displays basic folders as the host Pinnacle software is not available without the computer.

For general interest I use a Ruckus Wireless system (I would, we sell them) this gives a solid QoS controlled unbroken video stream regardless of whatever else is happening on the network.

http://www.broadbandcarrier.net

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom