Wireless Network Name Problem

ciamarx

Standard Member
Hi,

Really hope someone can help. I have got a big problem with my broadband connection. SKY is my broadband provider and I have two laptops using the network both connecting via wireless. I have no problem connecting or using the service, this works fine. However on the wireless network panel, if i click 'View Wireless Networks' it shows me all the networks in range. In the list there is my SKY network which shows as connected, then my neighbours plusnet which is fine but under that it shows another network by the name of shagster.

Does anybody know how to get rid of this?? I have been on the router settings and nothing shows. What I cant understand is this network showed up when I was with tiscali, when I moved to SKY it kept on showing. Also I have had 2 new laptops in the last 6 months so this can be a virus on my laptops. I know this is not a neighbours network as when I switch the router off at the wall both my SKY and shagster networks dissapear!!

Hope someone has heard of this problem and can help me.

Regards
CiamarX

Badger0-0

I know this is not a neighbours network

Yes it is, just probably not a close neighbour.

I have got a big problem with my broadband connection

What problem?
It just means you're within range of that network, that's all.

themediaman

As others have mentioned, there is no real problem here...............

Any wireless adapter, like the ones in your laptops will pick up the broadcast from wireless transmissions, namely your router, your neighbours and anyone elses i range of the laptop, you may notice they may disappear and reappear, this is simply the signal fluctuating or even the other router being powered down......

Internet Service Providers is irrelevant, they supply you with the connection to the internet which is shared through a wireless router, which they usually provide, any wireless device within range of your router could use this internet with the right credentials, just as you could use other connections if you had the right credentials.........the risk of virus is non existent in this context of discussion....

Do both laptops see SKY and shagster....?

I would try keeping your router off and search for this network throughout the day, with my limited experience I cant see how one router, which has very limited functionality (sky) anyway, could broadcast 2 SSID names....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom