Wireless Network Connection - HELP!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Dickster, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I've just purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro, which i must say is a great piece of kit, but I seem to be having a 'very' annoying issue with it.

It wont connect to my Wi-Fi network.

I've two other machines running on the network fine, no issues at all. They are a PC and a laptop.

The connection is to a 3com router - Are these known to be awkward with Mac's ?

I've disabled all the security, SSID transmit, WEP password, MAC address filtering etc, yet the MacBook will not connect. It finds it, then after a while it says "Error joining the AirPort network xxxxxxxxx" Try Again or OK,are the only options, nothing else. Yet I can connect to a neighbours instanly (I asked him first)

Anyone got any tips ?

Cheers for reading.

Dickster (who's about to eat said machine if it fails again ;) )

2. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    hi there,

all I can offer is that I don't know of any problems with MACs and 3Com routers as I use both myself. I used an older G4 PowerPC in the past and connected via cable. My new Intel iMAC connects both via cable and wireless without any problems.
    When I initially setup the iMAC it picked up my network (SSID is active and being broadcast) and apparently recognised my WEP encryption setting and just prompted me for the 26 key password. It connected without any problems.

What I would try first is if the MacBook will connect via cable. If so at least you can narrow the problem down to the wireless settings on your laptop. I would guess the router is fine as your other appliances can connect without problems.

Are you letting the router assign IP addresses? Is the MacBook set to use the assigned one?

I'll keep an eye out here for your answers.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Simon

PS - if it doesn't work I can have a quick look at the wireless settings on my iMAC.

3. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Simon,

Cheers for your advice. So far I've managed to connect to the router in a 'wired' configuration and to next-doors wireless router. Upon attempting to connect to my 3Com router I've tried both 26 key password and the 'phrase' used to generate the 26 key password.

The MacBook finds my network and that it needs a password, yet nothing.

Still hunting. It's gonna be along night - bloomin' thing ;)

Cool,
    Dickster

4. C225

C225

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +785
    Dont know about 3com but some netgears have problems that are fixed by putting a dollar sign at the start of the WEP key so it may be similar.

Long shot but worth a try.

5. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers C225,

As far as I know the prefix of a '$' sign establishes the 'password' as Hexidecimel, but may well be wrong. But none the less, I'm afraid this hasn't worked either.

Alas, I'm still hunting, and getting hungrier (see first post ;) )

Cool,

Dickster

6. kevwood

kevwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There are lots of people having airport prolems after the 2007-002 update from apple. There's a discussion over on the apple boards Here, lots of annoyed people. Looks like it mainly affects Dlink routers.

I've only had my new Macbook a few weeks (about a week before the update) and initially it connected no problems to my 3com router with WPA encryption. After the update I've had problems ever since with my Macbook, whereas other windows PCs on the network connect fine.

I've found that if I turn off encryption and hide the SSID it usually connects fine. Although if the laptop's been turned off most off the time it wont reconnect again to the router with the same SSID. If I change it it'll then connect again. It's weird but it works, not very practical mind!

7. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers kevwood for the pointer.

To be honest the more I've read to more I've realised that this is the issue. Quite a few other users have experienced the same thing with 3Com routers, and currently there's no way around it. Some posters have resigned themselves to waiting for the next 'upgrade'. But as someone else rightly said the tech's who should be fixing this are probably working on iTV. Ho hum, the search continues. . . .

Still can't believe I'm the only sufferer.

P.S. I've decided not to eat my MacBook - yet ;)

8. Dickster

Dickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

Wireless Hell Update.

Today I've 'bootcamped' to Vista. Airport Wireless connection works first time. No issues, no hassles - job done.

Still doesn't resolve the main OS X issue - but for the meantime.

Will continue my quest.
    Cheers.

9. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I guess the update wasn't tested as fully as they usually are. Haven't had any problems with the Airport Extreme

10. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have noticed on several occasions that Macs don't seem to like Wifi channels 11-13 (in fact they often seem not to see them at all, possibly due to them apparently always wanting to believe they are in the US).

In these cases I have successfully connnected with Macs by settting the router to channel 6 or 10. YMMV.

11. madgames

madgames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I know what your saying
    I bought my daughter a ibook brand new for Xmas and its been hit and miss with the internet ever since i bought it
    She doesnt live with me and i havent seen her much lately but i know its been a real pain
    on the odd ocassion ive tried to get it working its failed. Couple of weeks ago i paid a IT/MAC company to go to hers and fix it and since then its been ok but dont knwo what the hell he did as it stumped me and my network knowledge isnt bad, well for PCs it not.
    But i do know what your saying , its damn annoying not to be able to surft wirelessly easily with OS X