1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless network at home

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by niccam, Sep 14, 2005.

1. niccam

niccam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi whats the best way to setup a wireless network between computers at home.
    At the moment the only computer that has a wireless card is my daughters laptop
    I need a few pointers to what to buy and what to watch out for [ speed, ports,etc ] and so far have been told to buy a wireless router with a G rating. So any more info would be a great help Thank you

2. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Depends on whether it's laptops or desktops

Either way I would avoid wireless kits that use USB connections. I'd get a PCMCIA card for any laptops and a PCI card for desktops.

Rating is G as you said which is a standard 802.11G which is the fastest wireless speed at the moment 108mbps.

If on cable get one that accepts ethernet inputs possibly with some spare ports so some pc's can be wired in. If using ADSL get a combined wireless router with modem, will be less hassle to set up.

Any other questions just ask.

3. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    You will need a router and wireless card/USB dongle for any other computers.

If you have broadband, get a router with a built in ADSL modem.

Definitely go for wireless G and make sure that all future and current wireless cards are also wireless G, the network runs at the speed of the slowest device, put a wireless B card/device on and it slows the whole network from 54mbps to 11mbps

Amazon currently have this netgear on offer:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TZ8Z8/qid=1126724171/202-1751814-3495847

That should work perfectly (I have one myself)

Andrew

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Niccam,

If you have ADSL (Broadband) and want a wireless router to connect to it, the one you get depends on whether you have BT Broadband or you are part of NTL or Telewest.

G rating wireless runs at 54Mbps at it's maximum. There are 108Mbps but this is achieved by packing the data first then sending it. For this you'll need a router and receiver that are of the same manufacturer and have something like a Turbo mode option. (IE, you can't run a Cisco router and a receiver with Texas Instruments chipset and expect 108Mbps. 54Mbps would be fine though).
    B rating wireless runs at 11Mbps at it's maximum.
    There is a new rating which I think is called 'N' which runs natively at 125Mbps without the packing, but this is new and quite expensive when compared to 'G'.

Most wireless routers come with 4 ethernet ports which run at 100Mbps. Don't discount USB connections as these are useful if the router goes AWOL and wireless and ethernet doesn't work, you can use the USB to connect it.

Names to look for are Linksys, Netgear and Dcom. Safecom are cheap and come under a number of names (But they all look the same) and although they work, they do have problems, so unless you know what you are doing or would like to get your hands dirty, go for a more expensive one !

Depending on the network usage depends on whether to use ethernet or wireless. If you are only going to be surfing the web and general file transfer, I would suggest wireless but if you're going to be streaming MP3s and video from one computer to another (HTPC style) then I would suggest Ethernet to all Desktops.

BTW, when I say Maximum speed, these are the theoretical maximum speed. If the signal strength isn't good because of your distance from the router or there are a couple of brick walls in between you and router, the speed can drop to anywhere between 0 and 54Mbps. This is why I suggest ethernet for streaming so you know there wont be dropouts.

Hope this helps,

Richie.