Wireless 'n all that Live stuff???

rvdbarnes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good day everyone,

Im not new to the site, but i am to this forum.
So this is me saying hello!:hiya:
After waiting for the rush to die down, iv finally managed to get a 360, HOORAY!
Im not currently on LIVE at the minute because my network isnt set up.
I currently run 1 x PC, wired to the phone socket with TISCALI 1meg broadband.
Hopefully my ISP and speed is OK?
I now want to set up a wireless network for my pc, psp and 360 but dont know which router and adapters to get?
I hear you dont have to use the MS 360 adapter?

Basically, I just dont know where to start and what to do?

Rvd

Im no expert, but you have a similar setup to me.

Tiscali 1mb will be fine for live.

Lets say for example, your PC's in the bedroom and the 360's in the Living room. (My setup).

I have a Netgear DG834Gv2 modem router connected to my PC and to the phone socket, this creates a Wireless network in your home.

I have a Netgear WGE111 connected to the 360.

All you have to do is buy these products and follow the set up guides.

You should also have a free 1months trial of xbox live that came with your 360, you will have to connect to xbox live through the 360, this will then allow you to setup a gamertag etc. Check out xbox.com for more info.

You can buy cheap 12month subscriptions from ebay, for around 20 quid.
If you already have broadband you MUST hook up to live its the muts nuts:smashin:

A cheap and easy solution depends on where your XBOX and PC are in relation to your phoneline.

I have a wireless modem router in the living room and the 360 attached via the cat5 cable. My PC connects wirelessly from another room using the USB adapter that came with the modem/router.

This saves having to buy the official MS wireless adapter for £60 when a PC will use any wireless adapter (prices from £15+)

Hope this helps.

Alright chaps

My pc and 360 are both in my bedroom, where as the phone line is at the bottom of the stairs, so its going to have to be an all round wireless/router job i think.

This is what iv thought of so far

NETGEAR
DG834G
54MBPS WIRELESS ADSL ROUTER
& 54MBPS USB ADAPTOR (for the pc)

and then

Netgear WGE111 connected to the 360

would this work??

rvdbarnes said:
Alright chaps

My pc and 360 are both in my bedroom, where as the phone line is at the bottom of the stairs, so its going to have to be an all round wireless/router job i think.

This is what iv thought of so far

NETGEAR
DG834G
54MBPS WIRELESS ADSL ROUTER
& 54MBPS USB ADAPTOR (for the pc)

and then

Netgear WGE111 connected to the 360

would this work??

I've got the Belkin F5D7632uk4 wireless router/modem combi. Couldn't be happier with it, it's been connected solidly for the last 3 months with no disconnections! This is connected to my laptop via a netgear wireless network card, and my 360 is connected with the official MS adaptor. You can use any of the gaming adaptors, but they will need their own power supply. The MS one is powered from the 360, so it's much neater and well worth the extra £10 if you can stretch to it :thumbsup:

Another option if your PC and 360 are in the same room. You can connect the 360 directly to the PC with a crossover network cable, and set up ICS (internet connection sharing) on the PC. I did it this way for about 12 months with no problems, you just need to have your PC turned on when you want to go on xbox live.

This will save you £50 for the gaming adaptor.

I'm pretty sure that previous threads about wireless adapters for the 360 have all said that the only one to work well (or at all) is the official 360 adapter.

What about buying a cheapo phone extension kit from Argos, Maplin etc. for your phone? No need to bother with any wireless stuff then.

I can see the reasons to stay wired, but you must know what its like when you get an idea, and you feel you MUST have it that way!!
Well thats me and my wireless idea!!:)
So if i change my previous set up suggestion, to having the official MS adaptor, do we think i should be ok???

LOL , i like the link.

Ok, i have a confession.

One of my main reasons for wanting wireless is so that, at 23 years old i dont get my parents whinging about cables going down the stairs, and presenting a "hazard"!!!

And i just think wireless is the muts nuts!!:clap:

mminghella said:
I'm pretty sure that previous threads about wireless adapters for the 360 have all said that the only one to work well (or at all) is the official 360 adapter.

What about buying a cheapo phone extension kit from Argos, Maplin etc. for your phone? No need to bother with any wireless stuff then.

Sorry I wasn't very clear, MS is the only USB adaptor that will work on the 360 (at the moment), but the ethernet gaming bridges will work fine.

rvdbarnes said:
LOL , i like the link.

Ok, i have a confession.

One of my main reasons for wanting wireless is so that, at 23 years old i dont get my parents whinging about cables going down the stairs, and presenting a "hazard"!!!

And i just think wireless is the muts nuts!!:clap:

Hazard for parents = early life insurance payout!

Think about it. :devil:

rvdbarnes said:
I can see the reasons to stay wired, but you must know what its like when you get an idea, and you feel you MUST have it that way!!
Well thats me and my wireless idea!!:)
So if i change my previous set up suggestion, to having the official MS adaptor, do we think i should be ok???

That will be fine, unless you go the ICS route and save £50. :)

I use the belking wireless bridge/gaming adaptor with the 360 and it works fine. If I were in your situation though I would definitely look at getting the phone line upstirs and then using ethernet cable, wireless does work but I always prefer cables myself.

I live in a modern complex of houses and flats, the probelm is Im starting to run out of free channels for wireless, I know there are other options its just a fully wired system works flawlessly with almost no exceptions.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I can only speed from personal experience but I have yet to experience drop out using my Wireless Router and MS Network Adapter and the download speeds from Live seem exactly the same as when I was using a crossover cable with ICS :thumbsup:

Yes but that depends on many factors for instance:

1. Our local airport causes dropout on my wireless network as well as on our mobile phones. Or at least that is the general consensus in the area.

2. When people move in around you or get thier own wireless networks, those will possibly interfere with your wireless network.

For me, wired offers the longterm stability. I still have 2 wireless networks in my house that I use for a number or devices but could not live without my 1Gb wired network for reliability. Any device that does not get moved around should be wired as far as I am concerned.

However, just because I am a retentive power freak who does not trust wireless does not mean that it does not work wonderfully for some people. Just a warning that it may not work for you for factors that did not seem obvious at the outset and if you are going to invest in a lot of equipments, I would recommend going for a solution that you "know" will work the first time.

Ive seen NETGEAR
DG834G routers cause lots of problems with strict and medium NAT setttings for people and Xbox Live

well, i got the router NETGEAR DG834G and a usb adaptor for my pc to start with.
Iv got the adaptor installed, and now im on the settings for the router and i just can not do it.
How do i get my tiscali I.P details etc?
Its driving me mad.

RVD

IP details? or ISP details, you will need your account name and password etc. from Tiscali, give them a call and tell them what you are trying to do they will probably talk u through it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom