Wireless Music Transfer From Pc To Hifi?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by LSDAV, Mar 7, 2006.

1. LSDAV

LSDAV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a cheap wireless music server (transfers music from PC to hi-fi) that’s any good and where the best place to shop or get reviews is?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

2. Mo_1

Mo_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Cheapest is probably the Netgear MP101 (about £45 on Ebay as they are now discontinued).

Best is probably a Roku soundbridge or Slim devices Squeezebox alhtough as to which is best is probably down to personal taste. but your looking at around £150 to £250 for one of these.

Andrew1810 on these very same forums will probably be able to do you a good deal on one of these

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
  5. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Here is a brief review of the players I have personally tested:

1) Netgear MP101 - bigger than the others but the cheapest, bundled software is terrible, use TwonkyVision instead. Sometimes takes a while to boot up (fails to get IP), also doesn't like weak wireless networks. only supports MP3's

2) Terratec Noxon - Small, large backlit screen and free internet radio without even needing the PC switched on. Only supports MP3's and only has a 3.5mm out so will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable or an adaptor (its not suitable for headphones). Mine has booted up first time every time and have had no problems yet. Again use twonkyvision. Only wifi, no network port

3) Philips Streamium SL50i - roughly the same price as the terratec but has RCA outs and network port. Free internet radio (requires PC to be on) but again only supports MP3's. Very small unit, but I found the screen too small and the lack of a backlight was a problem from anything over a couple of meters away. Again, supplied software is poor, uses loads of system resources, but works with Twonkyvision

4) Creative Soundblaster Wireless - not tested this one yet, but screen is only on the remote which could be awkward

5) Roku Soundbridge M1000 - I sold these before, but dropped them from the range, the screen is prone to failing and it lacks the features of the Squeezebox2 which is only £20 more!! Also, unable to search which is a problem with 000's of tracks

6) Slimdevices Squeezebox2 - Best of the lot by miles, absolutely stunning product. Very reliable, supports all formats, internet radio, computer control if wanted (over a webpage so works on any pc on the network), visualisations on screen and a digital out for improved quality (people have chosen this over very expensive CD players!!)
    Also doubles up as a wireless bridge if needed (e.g. plug the PS2 or X-box into it to add wifi!)
    Software is excellent and reliable and can display album covers etc. on the PC

These can all run off your current computer, or I can build a music server for any of them if required (custom built to your specs/budget)

Any questions, just ask

Andrew

6. bill_lamb

bill_lamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, here's a different angle (I think ?! - what's a music server?) .. I have a Linex - see (10 quid) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LINEX-WIRELES...874868432QQcategoryZ58542QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've had it a couple of years, and it's great. plug into the headphone socket of your pc (or any headphone socket) and it transmits an FM signal. quality is good. then play music through pc, itunes, mp3, cd or whatever, and tune all the radios in your house to FM 88.0 - Bingo ! party time ! it's great

all the best, Bill

Links audio sources such as PDAs, MP3, MD, CD players, etc. to any car or home stereo without cables or wires
    Transmission of audio signals to audio equipment which has FM reception function
    Connection via 3.5mm jack connector - please ensure your PDA or audio device has a 3.5mm jack connector
    An ideal device designed for car stereo
    Transmission frequency: 88 to 89.2MHz
    Frequency Response: 20Hz ~ 15KHz
    Transmission range: 45 meters
    7 selectable transmission frequencies
    Extra stable transmission with PLL synthesizer
    Power on/off switch
    Signal to noise ratio: > 70dB
    Distortion: < 0.5%
    Uses 3 size "AA" batteries
    Battery Life > 150 Hours
    Slim and lightweight design