Wireless Multiroom?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by JF1980, Aug 14, 2005.

1. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi people, I would like to sign up for sky multiroom and have the second box in our second living room. However there is no way to take a coax cable in to the room (apart from round the skirting boards which would not cut it with my parents). I have found a few AV senders for around £90 but they only send composite signals from what I have read and apparently the quality is questionable.

I guess if there are no other options then this will have to do, but I would have though that by now there would be some kind of 'wireless cable extender' type thing which could actually transmit the signal coming down the coax and then output it via coax at the other end, allowing me to have my sky box in the final location, with no loss of AV quality. Not possible?

So, if I have to go with the first AV sender option, any suggestions on a good one? Any which actually transmit RGB?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Multiroom is a totally independent second SKY digibox with it's own smartcard and LNB connection, there is no cable between the two boxes.
    That's if I understand what you mean unless you are talking about the extra feed from the LNB?

If you decided that isn't practical then an AV sender will only show what the existing box is tuned into thus limiting the usefullness although there are times 2 TV's will want to show the same thing.

Never used one myself but I do know many have who post on these forums.
    Satcure carry a range of these products so worth a read.

3. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep I understand the fact that the multiroom is actually a seperate LNB feed, but still I can't run a cable in to the second living room due to a solid floor and flat roof (there is no way I would convince my father to let me drill through that!).

Dependong on the range I would be looking at keeping the second sky box in the loft with the AV sender, and the receiver in the living room.

What I was getting at is that it would be great to have a wireless sender which could actually send the LNB signal via wireless, therefore allowing me to have the skybox down with the TV.

Would I have range problems if I had this lot in the loft? I would say direct line it's about 20m going through one external wall (about 12" made of brick) and one flat roof (think this is foam/ply and some tar on top).

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I'll admit that sort of thing is beyond me although I can not see why in principle an LNB output could not be sent via wireless to another unit which in turn could send the commands for switching back.

According to the satcure site 20-30metres within a home is what you can expect for a video sender so as long as it's two way to allow remote control that should do the job and PQ should be fine with stereo sound.
    Still, not an elegant solution or cheap solution:(

5. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are some on ebay for £20, at the end of the day it's all the same, even the £150 ones don't do RGB etc, the only extra feature they have is the option of up to 4 inputs, and as I only want one input anyway maybe I will go for the cheap option and see how it is.

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
  7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you're worried about picture quality, don't use a digisender, especially if you live in an urban environment where there could be neighbours close by using wireless PC networking, which interferes with digisenders. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any digisenders that do RGB, because the quality just isn't up to it.

I would never consider putting a Sky box in the loft - it's too cold and damp in the average loft for a Sky box to survive very long.

8. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I don't see why I would need to wire it up like that, I think the only way I can do it is to keep the second box and transmitter in the loft. It's not damp up there so I think it would be ok. I don't really have any other options, it's go with that or have freeview instead of sky, no competition really is it.

9. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I am not sure if i am missing something here but....

Assuming the second lounge has telephone line for multi room requirments, why can you not just fix the LNB-2 feed around the outside of the house and drill one hole to ge into the property and then connect up to the second digibox.

This hole can be through the wall, window frame, loft (and then through ceiling) etc.

As you will not be watching terresterial televisison there is no need for RF connections.

10. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Drilling holes in the wall is a no go. Hence my need for a wireless solution. There is a phone line in the room which was installed when the room was built, this is actually on the wrong side of the room so I may be looking at using one of the 230VAC phone extensions to move that to the other side of the room with no nasty looking cables.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Good luck in getting all of that going - I think you're going to need it :rolleyes:

Lofts are notoriously hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. Not to mention the spiders and bugs up there. Sky boxes can be unreliable even in a clean lounge environment - I dread to think how yours will behave sitting in an oven for half the year, and a fridge for the other half :rolleyes:

12. JF1980

JF1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I guess there is only one way to find out!

Whatever happens it's worth it for the hope of having more than 5 channels of junk.