1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless mouse & Keyboard

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    I have my plasma in a different room than my PC, so I need a decent wireless mouse and keyboard.
    The PC is in the next room so only about 10 feet away.

Any recommendations.

Also is my spec OK for playing HD movies.

Win XP pro
    Athlon 2800+
    1024 DDR 400mhz
    Geforce Ti4400 128MB
    2 x 250 SATA HDD

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gyration mouse and keyboard, love mine. :)

As for HD, my standard reply .. currently the only HD that exists are WMVs and for those M$ recommend at least a P4 3GHz so your system is on the borderline.

Future requirements for HD-DVD / Bluray playback are still completely unknown.

3. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have Belkin RF keyboard and mouse and ASDA are currently selling the set for £20!

If you go to www.wmvhd.com and scroll to the bottom of the page it will analyse your PC to see if it will paly WMV HD.

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    How far does it go, how do you rate it?

5. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I have the BTC (with thumb pad built in) and this controls my PC on plassie from 3m away.

Got it off ebay (buy it now) for £18.

Branny

6. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I can use it from 12-15ft no problem. I have just tried it from the kitchen facing the boiler and it works no problems (using the windows key to activate the start menu and alt f4 to close IE windows).

the keyboard has programmable keys including email,web and play. The angle is good for thewrist and the key are "cushioned" to the tocuh. The mouse is optical.

This is the model;

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProd...on_Path=/Root/ComputerAccessories/Keyboards/#

7. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the gyration too....the mouse is brilliant but I had a dud keyboard initially (and so too did a lot of people having read up on the net)

Quite like the fact that it is so compact...doesn't take up too much space in the lounge where I keep my htpc

8. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I recently recieved the Microsoft Desktop Elite for Bluetooth, fantastic range and evn has media controls on Kbrd, play Far Cry\Call of Duty from about 8 foot away in my 32" LCD, mouse has no problems, can thoroughly recommend, costs about £75 though!

9. davebrear

davebrear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You CAN get a wireless k/b and mouse for £20.00, but if money is not object I would recommend splashing out on the logitec MX3100 wireless set. I bought mine for exactly same reason as you (PC on other side of wall directly behind LCD TV, and i am really impressed. Through the wall works like a dream. I bought this to replace a logitec MX500 wired mouse - which was the best mouse i had ever used. The MX3100 set with its MX1000 laser mouse (yes laser not LED) puts the old one to shame. I have never been a big fan of wireless before but this has definately converted me! AT £65.00 it is a bit steeper than some, but i think well worth it!

Link to where i bought it:http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=83455

Link to review of MX3100 set: http://www.casemodgod.com/cmg/Reviews-story--56.html

10. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  11. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I found the problem with RF mice is that the range depends on your PC. Overall the range on my Logitech trackball is far superior than the RF mice I have had. Your best option though would be to go Bluetooth although they are expensive!

12. northernmunki

northernmunki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Still big compared to a gyration keyboard :rolleyes:

14. TheBigK

TheBigK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I brought one of the btc 9019 off ebay, it is USB, there is a version for ps2, but needs batteries in receiver as well as keyboard.
    I think it is excellant. I am typing on it now. It is compact, no separate numeric pad, uses letter keys, via Numlock button. Plug and play, I have not loaded drivers yet, my existing kb and mouse still work in parrallel.
    The joystick mouse is easy to use, handles, and ergonumic knee grooves actually work.
    On my version, there is a slight asetic flaw on the edge of the clear plastic cover on the remote control buttons (web buttons, plus vol up/dn, mute, ffwd, rwd, play/pause, eject, sleep).
    Recommended, and very cheap (I paid £21.54 delivered off ebay).

Why pay more? It is good enough for Elonex....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186698&highlight=btc

For operation from a separate room, the RF does not go through walls, but is better than IR types, bluetooth might be best if you have the doors closed.

Regarding wmvHD Playback, I also have a xp 2800 and 1gb. The 720p clips/dl's are fine, however 1080p clips can be jumpy if you have background tasks. They are ok on mine if I disconnect from net, and turn off anti-virus/malware/hacker software. I have tried both a 9800se AIW and a 9500pro both similar results (they are close on Tom's hardware tests too).

16. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am looking at getting a wireless mouse and keyboard. I have a PC in a cupboard in the next room behind my plasma that I want to control. Distance is around 9' or so.

I have been looking at the BTC 9019URF as a cheap option as all I want to do is use it to casually control the PC, it is not going to be in use very much.

Does this not work through walls at any distance ?

Any alternatives around the same price that will work through walls ?