1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Modem / Router - Wrong Forum I know!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cwhelan, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any experience in setting up a wireless router / modem?

I have recently bought a Linksys wireless 4 port Modem / Router. I have 3 laptops to connect 2 Dell D600 & 1 Compaq Evo N600. I'm not a techy but somehow managed to get the wife's laptop connected ok (wireless) D600 & then got mine connected D600. Or so I thought!

I keep getting kicked of the tinternet! :mad: & the wife's is ok? I looked at her signal strength & it is 54Mbs & I only get 11? can't understand why when they both say that they are 802.11 b&g

Can anyone help / suggestions?

Another curve ball, when I connect my laptop via patch lead directly into the hub All is ok & works all day without being kicked off!

I haven't even tried the 3rd yet but that should be ok as I have bought a PCMCIA card to connect that one it's not got in built wireless capability.

:lease: :lease:

Thanks,

Conor

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,891
    Have you got the latest drivers installed for the wireless networking card on the computer where you have the problems ?

3. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Not sure. will have to check when the Wife gets home tonight.

Got the machines 1 week apart exactly the same Spec. So one would have thought they have the same drivers! Didn't check that one last night - Lost the will to live in the end!! Good job I didn't Assume! :eek:

Have got to a stage when I can't see the wood for the trees!! need a fresh pair of eyes on it! :eek:

Will have a peek tonight.

Cheers,

Conor.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've heard problems with this router but can't quite find where I read it (I thought it was ebuyer form the user reports). The problem was when you connected more than 1 PC but can't remember if it was through wireless. Also, some are stating the signal isn't very good.

Take it back if you still have problems after installing the new drivers. Maybe ask for a USRobotics instead.

Richie.

5. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Don't say that!! :mad:
    Looks like another night of grief! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind but it's what the company recommended! I even asked them why is it cheaper that lets say USB or Netgear. But they replied that Cisco (who are an excellent Brand) are heavily marketing their home use products - Linksys. Which means they are probably getting a back hander! Do'h just answered my own question!! :suicide:

Will report back :confused:

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Go on to the Linksys website and download the latest Firmware for the router. See what that does.

7. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go to this site for linksys stuff www.linksysinfo.org there are forums for each linksys kit etc and also downloads for firmware upgrades

Is it the WAG54G that you have?? i'd imagine it is the V2 release if you have recently bought it. I have a v1.1 WAG54G but only one wireless PC connecting, although there are 3 wired PCs connected directly to it, only time anything wierd happens is if I run WinMX - the router reboots.

Does your laptop signal strength increase if you move closer to the router/modem??

Gary

8. Cwhelan

Cwhelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:
    Update! well It now turns out that my machine doesn't have the same wireless card as my wife's! hers is 802.11 B&G and mine is 802.11 B only!! not a happy bunny.

Never the less it doesn't explain why I'm still getting kicked off the wireless network!

I have upgraded the drivers on my Wireless Lan card for the laptop + upgraded the firmware on the Router & still getting the same problems!

Going to give up throw it all in the Bin & go back to a Wired network.

Rant over, think I'm going to speak to Linksys Tech support!! :mad: