Wireless modem/router help for a novice please!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by yorkshirecath, Aug 5, 2006.

1. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Right, unbelievably i appear to have set up my wireless modem/router and it is working:thumbsup: However i have a couple of questions that are probably really stupid but i need advice.

Firstly does is it just connect to the internet automatically? Before i had a speechtouch modem and i had to physically double click the icon for it to connect but with this i wouldn't know what to press.

Also how do i know i am connected to Wanadoo(Orange) who are my ISP and not through Internet Explorer and charging me 4p a minute. I am sat on my laptop and it doesn't say Av forums powered by Wanadoo like it normally would do on my desktop PC but it just sats Packard Bell.
    Sorry if i'm talking stupid but i'm new to all this.
    Thanks
    Cath

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    hi Cath,

with a router your internet connection will always be live. not quite sure what you mean by connecting through internet explorer, did you used to use dial up that got charged at 4p/min? or do you have a pay as you go broadband?

3. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No i've always had broadband but had to physically dial up to be conected. I know if you don't have broadband you can dial up but you get charged 4p min and i guess i just want tomake sure my PC is using broadband and not the dial up facility. It doesn't say connected by Wanadoo anywhere and also it says i'm only connected at 54mbps when on my other PC that has the modem attached it is faster.

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    ok, if you want to avoid using dial up (non broadband) internet then just make sure that no phone line is plugged into any of your PCs. the only phone line you should plug in any where is the one into your new wireless modem/router.

it sounds like its all setup correctly to be honest, the router gets rid of the need to manually connect to the internet like you used to have to with the speedtouch. there shouldn't really be much difference in the speed of browsing/downloading when using wireless compared to a direct connection, try doing a speed test to make sure its running like it should.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

hth,
    owain