wireless mice, macs, and KVM switches

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by clockworks, Mar 18, 2006.

1. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    I'm trying to share a Logitech diNovo bluetooth mouse and keyboard between a PC and my new Intel Mac mini.

My original idea was to use the Logitech BT hub/charger on the PC, and the mini's built-in BT hub. That doesn't work, because you can only pair the keyboard & mouse with one BT hub at a time.

My next idea was to use a KVM switch, but the only ones that I've seen in person (Belkin) say on the box that they don't support wireless devices.

My final idea was to use a USB peripheral switch, normally used for sharing printers. I don't need to switch the video, as my monitor has dual inputs.

Will a peripheral switch work with a wireless keyboard & mouse?
    Does anyone sucessfully use a KVM switch with a wireless keyboard & mouse?

I'm also trying to find an Intel Mac driver for my Logitech mouse. I use the middle button (scrollwheel click button) as "Back" when browsing. It's a great time saver, so I'd like to use it on the Mac.
    I can't find a Logitech driver that'll work with Intel minis.

Are there any third party Mac mouse drivers that'll allow me to re-define the middle button?

2. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have a Belkin KVM usb and have successfully shared a wireless keyboard and mouse ( Logitech MX700) between a Mini and a PC, but I havent tried it with a bluetooth hub. You may get problems when it comes to pairing with two computers.
    I now use a Mac bluetooth keyboard and MX Laser mouse on the Mac. An LX900 Bluetooth mouse ( and hub) and an MX 700 Keyboard and mouse set ( minus the mouse) on the PC. I need the MX 700 charger base(hub) to plug into the Belkin KVM so that it switches the monitor over between the PC and Mac.( My MX 700 mouse went faulty so I bought the MX900 BT mouse which also gives my PC a bluetooth hub).
    It sounds a bit of a lash up, but it works perfectly and I rarely use the PC now

There is a programme written for Mac that lets you programme mice buttons, but I forget the name. I will have a think.....er, it could be USB Overdrive, have a look on Google.
    Allan

3. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Do you know what model Belkin hub you are using?

I think that switching the BT set between 2 machines should work, since the mouse and keyboard are paired with the hub, not the PC or Mac. The mouse is an MX900.

USB Overdrive looks as if it should work - it says it'll handle Intel Macs. :thumbsup: