Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Wireless media RECEIVER (not processor!)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Fergus, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Fergus

Fergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to get things right in my head, but it goes something like this:

I have media and media players on my PC. These can send data to a media receiver which can then play/display the media.
    Now all of these media devices want to actually process the media (hence limitations with codecs etc), but can I not just get the computer to do this and send the picture/music to a receiver which pumps it out to speakers/display? (and perhaps using something like Command Cubes, I could get it to send different signals to different rooms...?)

I suppose what I'm talking about is one of these 'video senders' you get in Maplin etc, but I'm guessing that they're a bit crap and also they apparently conflict with wifi networks.

What I need is somthing that uses the wifi network in my home just to send raw video signals etc.

Know what I'm talking about? :)
    Is there something out there that I've missed?
    :lease:

2. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Neuston MC500.... anything else is crap in comparison.

3. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, the problem you have missed is the data rate required for uncompressed video. The whole reason these things can work reasonably well without competely saturating the network is because of compression formats like MP3, DivX etc.

4. Fergus

Fergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, good point, thanks. :)

5. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With the MC 500 It will encode the file as Divx from the the server software as it leaves the host computer.... this means you can get high quality Divx video and 5.1 audio down a 54g wireless connection.