Wireless Media Players with MKV support?

tjhilder

Hi,

I'm looking for a wireless Media player with AVI and MKV filetype support so I can stream files from my laptop to my 720p HD Projector.

any good ones out there?

I'm gonna say a budget of £200 but I don't mind paying for a decent media player.

-Terry

t72bogie

Novice Member
loads ...all the latest Popcornhours, even last gen EVA8000 (like I use) has MKV support ....pretty common now

any other requirements?

Downinja

Scrap the wireless idea, go with Power Over Ethernet, you could probably get a pair of 200Mbps plugs and an A-110 for that sort of money.

t72bogie

Novice Member
Scrap the wireless idea, go with Power Over Ethernet, you could probably get a pair of 200Mbps plugs and an A-110 for that sort of money.

you mean powerline adapters :)

PoE (power over ethernet) is a standard for delivering electrical power to devices from switch

but yeah, I agree - I wouldnt use wireless for streaming where possible, a wire is always better, 2nd choice, a pair of powerline adapters as you mention :smashin:

Aweb

Novice Member
is 802.11n much cop now when it comes to streaming HD MKV stuff?

t72bogie

Novice Member
is 802.11n much cop now when it comes to streaming HD MKV stuff?

yes, of course, in the same room, next room, with little interference, it works fine .....its hard to recommend though when you dont know someones RF environment at home

cable is always better ....

Aweb

Novice Member
sure, i appreciate that but given that you can get full bandwidth then it can cope :)
I'll be interested to see what the cut off would be... :)

t72bogie

Novice Member
sure, i appreciate that but given that you can get full bandwidth then it can cope :)
I'll be interested to see what the cut off would be... :)

you only need like 40-50Mbps per stream for HD, top quality 300Mbps connection is 150Mbps real throughput, so there is some margin for errors

also, most clients have a buffer, to cope with minor blips/interference in an imperfect network

I have used 802.11n to stream just fine, its just expectations really

...only the very latest players like the Netgear EVA9150 have wireless N built in though I think ......

tjhilder

you mean powerline adapters :)

PoE (power over ethernet) is a standard for delivering electrical power to devices from switch

but yeah, I agree - I wouldnt use wireless for streaming where possible, a wire is always better, 2nd choice, a pair of powerline adapters as you mention :smashin:

never heard of powerline adapters :eek: what would you recommend?

t72bogie

Novice Member
never heard of powerline adapters :eek: what would you recommend?

there are many, in various speeds from 14Mbps to 85Mbps to 200Mbps

check out the networking forum for an faq and lots of threads

Id go for a minimum of 85Mbps, preferably 200Mbps

like wireless its an inefficient protocol, so 200Mbps on the wire is like 90Mbps in the real world in Windows, 2 rooms away with a load of noisy devices on your ring main - 40-50Mbps of real useable bandwidth

depending on manufacturer £80-100 a pair on the 200Mbps

these are getting good reviews - ideal for putting behind a rack, to network your receiver/blu-ray back to your router etc :smashin:

Netgear's Home Theater Internet Connection Kit — Reviews and News from Audioholics

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom