1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless lan problem?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by mickey, Nov 15, 2004.

1. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this little problem. I have a laptop and a pc running xppro sp2 which are connected wirelessly through a dlink dsl router and thy can both use my adsl connection wirelessly no problem, now what i dont seem to be able to do is connect just the two of them up as a wirless lan I:E to play games over the wireless lan, I assumed they should both just talk to each other without any other hardware but their own wifi cards but i just cant get it to work they just dont see each other any advice is welcome or maybe a website that might help. cheers mike

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Your assumption is correct, they should be able to work together as you expect.

First things first, are you sure they're configured for File and Print Sharing? IIRC XP doesn't always default to enabling this. If that's enabled, open a command prompt on each and enter:

ipconfig

and check the IPs, then on one try pinging the other, does that work?

If still nothing obvious, have you any firewalling on the PCs that could be blocking traffic?

3. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mickey,

If you have Service Pack 2 on both machines thats the problem... no need to remove it though.... just reconfigure...

SP2 switches on Windows Firewall by default on non domain machines... (which yours will be)..

You need to decide how you want the two machines to talk...

Go to Control Panel... then click Windows Firewall... then click the Exceptions tab...

Check the game(s) you want to play are listed as exceptions and the boxes are ticked...

You need to do this on both machines...

Hope that helps...

Mark.

4. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    thanks for the info guys , but i,m still not up and running , from what i have sussed out (if i,m right) the wifi cards have to be figured as ad-hoc connections and not as infrastructure which they have to be for the wireless internet unless i have that set up wrong even though the internet connections work it would be a pain in the ar%e to change that everytime i wanted to play over a lan with my lads or share files which at the moment i can only do by using a crossover cat5 lan cable direct between my lappy and the pc which negates one of the reasons for getting the wireless gear i have tried a couple of other websites but still no clear explanation of how this should be done :rolleyes: .cheers again mike

5. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mickey...

First off... 'ad-hoc' vs 'infrastructure'... the only difference here is that in 'infrastructure' mode you have to have a wireless router/access point... i.e. some kind of stand alone wireless device that will manage the wireless settings and network...

'ad-hoc' is where you have two pc's with wireless cards and they each have to have matching 'ad-hoc' settings in order to talk to each other...

The difference is ONLY about configuration... you can share files... play games... etc on BOTH types of network... with no differences...

As you have a Dlink wireless router I would expect you to be using 'Infrastructure' mode... the router would act as a 'manager' for the wireless network... telling the PC's which channel to use... etc...

Go to you router... set up the SSID... this must be the same on all devices... the choose some security (ideally WPA but WEP if not).... you will then have to pick a password to give to the router...

Then go to each PC and select control panel... networks... then click the wireless card and select configuration wizard... then tell the wizard all the settings you put into your router... (SSID, encryption type, WPA/WEP password)....

Provided the router is set to give out IP addresses with DHCP (most are)... both devices will then get IP's....

You should then be able to access the internet from both at the same time... if that works... click start run on the start menu... type cmd and the press enter... then type ipconfig....

Each machine should have a unique IP address... then from one pc... type ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the IP address of the other PC)....

And see if you get replies... or time outs...

If you get time outs after all that... its the Windows XP SP2 firewall thats blcking you... but that can be sorted...

Try that out and let us know what happens....

Mark.

6. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    thanks mark I will try your suggestion out and let you know what happens. cheers Mike

7. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +601
    If you are using a personal firewall like Norton, you may have to add the computers to the trusted zone in the network tab.
    Norton has a wizard for this but I dont know about others.

mij

8. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    thanks for the help guys. big thanks to Mark great explanation :thumbsup: you were right worked straight off as soon as i disconnected sp2s firewall . and now i assume i just give the programs i want to use permission in xps firewall settings. one more question what shoud actually be in the firewall exceptions tab that i havnt put in there myself like file and printer sharing .thanks again mike

P:S is are the comps relatively safe from outside attack using the routers security wpa/firewall/mac adressing etc plus xpsp2 firewall?

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO there's no point using SP2's firewall when using a router, you're far better advised getting something like ZoneAlarm or Outpost to catch phone-homes if something should get through your defenses .. the major failing of SP2's firewall is any lack of outbound filtering at all.

10. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    cheers robin i will look into zone alarm but it wo,nt f(*k up the wlan i have set up already will it? :eek: . cheers mike