Wireless Keyboard/Mouse for the PC couch potato!

gavin77

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sure many large LCD Tv owners also use their TV's for Web browsing, media play back and e-mail. I want to do the same - and would abviously prefer to do it from the comfort of my couch rather than on the floor with my laptop.

I am looking to buy a wirless keyboad, and think it would be more favourable to have a built in tracker/mouse nipple (as a mouse is less convieniant on a chair).

I cant seem to find much choice other than Microsofts Remote Keyboard for media centre PC's

Would anybody who is using something like this recommend anything to me?

Thanks, Gavin

gavin77 said:
I'm sure many large LCD Tv owners also use their TV's for Web browsing, media play back and e-mail. I want to do the same - and would abviously prefer to do it from the comfort of my couch rather than on the floor with my laptop.

I am looking to buy a wirless keyboad, and think it would be more favourable to have a built in tracker/mouse nipple (as a mouse is less convieniant on a chair).

I cant seem to find much choice other than Microsofts Remote Keyboard for media centre PC's

Would anybody who is using something like this recommend anything to me?

Thanks, Gavin

I like the gyration one best of all because of the 'feel' and signal strength, but it died so I replaced it with a cheapo noname thing which didn't work very well (auto repeat worked only occasionally, sometimes a 'key up' wasnt registered so a letter kept repeating etc etc).

The mouse is seperate on the gyration but you can use it in mid-air as opposed to tracking it on a surface. Works really well once you're used to it.

There are bluetooth keyboards out now too but i've not tried them.

To be honest i find it quite easy to use a wireless mouse (has to be optical) from my sofa.

My mouse mat can either be the chair itself, a magazine or my leg.

I'm using a microsoft mouse. Obviously if you use a poor quality mouse, then you will have trouble using it in this way!

Edit: I've noticed that my wireless signal isnt as strong in my living room. I think all the electronics around it interfere and make the signal weak

I use a Ceratech Saturn. It has a built-in optical tackball and a some basic mutlimedia buttons. There are also some dedicated buttons to launch applications but I haven't bothered to install the drivers to use these.

It was about £50 so not the cheapest around but it is fairly well built and I like the fact that it has proper keys, a trackball (some have a joystick for mouse control) good range and, what clincehd it for me, is not too large. Having a full size keyboard balanced on my lap and using a seperate mouse was no fun.

I use BTC 9019URF, its over 1 year old and still works really well...........its fairly cheap (£20-30), but it is good enough for a number of branded HTPC's including Elonex.

The 2 AA batteries seem to last a few months (unless you jam the joystick with a errant cushion, or throw the keyboard back onto the sofa and it lands upside-down....not that I would be that foolish...;) )

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235518&highlight=btc+9019urf

I've owned the BTC keyboard mentioned in an earlier post but now I've got the Keysonic 540RF. It a laptop type keyboard with integrated trackpad. You can buy them from a number of retailers (I got mine at Dabs - currently retailing for £32 plus delivery).

It is a 2.4Ghz RF receiver which is much better than the 27Mhz often used for such devices.

Manufacturers info http://www.keysonic.de/pages/products/keyboards/wireless/ACK_540_RF/e_ACK_540_RF.html

Pic attached

Attachments

• 540rf.jpg
    540rf.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 253
Brilliant, thanks for the great suggestions. I've found info on them all and will choose one, just need to decide whether I prefer joystick, touch pad etc.

Thanks again.

p.s. where have the thank you buttons gone on the forum?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom