1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by p203557, Oct 16, 2005.

1. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi there,

My planned setup is going to be a PC connected through VGA to a pioneer 436xde plasma. The Pc will be used for photo slide shows, web browsing and occassional gaming leaving my dvd playing and TV separate from the PC.

My question is what wireless mouse and keyboard would people recommend? I definitely want it to be wireless. It would need to have a range of 5m plus to be used from the sofa, and I'm not crazy about having to replace batteries regularly. So far a Logitech MX5000 seems to fit the bill and is bluetooth so the range shouldn't be a problem. Anyone got any experience of this or any suggestions? :lease:

Cheers,

Richard

2. Acecross

Acecross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Bluetooth is great for long range. I have the Microsoft Bluetooth desktop.

Disadvantages are, mine will not work outside of windows so if you need to access the BIOS you need a back up (I just keep an old USB near by). Not a big deal but something to keep in mind.

With regards batteries, the keyboard seems to last for ever, but the mouse gets through two AAs every two to three weeks! Some do come with a docking bay for the mouse which I think is a good idea. The newer models may be more effecient however.

Tim

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Well Logitech released a new keyboard/mouse set, it's the Dinovo range, so you get a great keyboard, which is ultra flat has notebook style keys and great for media center, it has play/pause puttons and you can launch media center from it, has volume controls to, good alternative to media center keyboard, i have one myself...also you get the MX1000 mouse with it...

[​IMG]

Logitech® diNovo™ Media Desktop™ Laser

4. p203557

p203557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Meansizzler,

What is the range like on the Divnovo? I think its RF and not bluetooth so how far away from the PC will it reliably work?

Cheers,

Richard

5. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    The Divnovo is bluetooth and the mouse has a charger. So no need for batteries. The range should be ok too. :thumbsup:

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    This is the new version, so it's bluetooth, I have the old RF version, it came with a crappy mouse, but the keyboard is great and works on the other side of the room, so it has good range, so I suspect the bluetooth one will to since it's using the new Bluetooth 2.0 protocol which alllows extended range, but if you looking for an RF version then you could always get the older notebook version and replace the mouse with the Logitech G7 laser, that's what I did, great keyboard and Great mouse..better then the MX1000...has on the fly resolution switch and takes rechargeable battery backs, and they charge over USb via the reciever, the MX1000 requiers an AC adapter to charge...well it's your call, but for the price of this new set you can get the old one and the G7...

G7

Keyboard

My G7 Review

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DiNovo is nice bit of kit - the keypad is surplus to requirements and too big to be of any real use, and the mouse isn't living room friendly unless you have a desk/table you can use it on.
    Also look at:
    Cerratec Saturn - 15m range RF , compact keyboard and built in optical mouse.
    BTC 9116/9019 - Can do 5m easy, and 7m is possible - cheap; decent qualtiy and have a built in joystick mouse.
    gyration Ultra - Nifty small keyboard. 2 models are available one with 25foot range and one with 100foot range.gyration mouse which can be used on desktop or waved around in the air.
    Microsoft MCE keybaord - this is an IR keyboard (a big minus IMHO), and ok.

I binned my diNovo for a Gyration which is fantastic, I find the mouse/joy control on the BTC9116/9019 frustrating at times, but I really like the 9116 keyboard itself, so is good if occasional mouse use. Not a hige fan of the 9019 (too bulky), and the Saturn is vastly becoming my personal favourite. The MS MCE was a big disappointment

8. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I have the Gyration (1200) keyboard and mouse. can use mouse by waving it in the air - or against pretty much anything you like. your leg, arm of chair etc.