Wireless internet keeps dropping out when using Denon 2113

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Veryperplexed, Mar 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Veryperplexed

Veryperplexed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help :lease::? This problem is becoming very frustrating. I have recently purchased a Denon 2113 receiver and connected it all up to a dvd recorder and tv. The receiver is connected to the router (not sure what kind it is, it was provided by my internet provider - vodafone) via an ethernet cable and it seems to work. The problem I am having is that the wireless internet connection drops everytime the Denon is in use. When the Denon isn't being used then the wireless internet works fine. Some days are worse than other.

I am completely untechnical, so please be gentle with me!

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Take a good look at the router (bottom, back) and the documentation supplied by Vodafone, to see if you can't find out exactly what it is. Post back with the full identification of that device.

If you can't identify the router / modem, I suggest phoning Vodafone to request on-site support from a service engineer.

3. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Two basic things to try - first re-boot the router with the Denon off. When the router is fully back then turn on the Denon and test again.

Second - try a different ethernet cable as the one you are using may be faulty.

If none of that works then do as Mark suggests and beat up Vodafone for a new router.

4. Veryperplexed

Veryperplexed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. The router appears to be a Home Galaxy HG556a made by Huawei Technologies Co Ltd. What I don't understand is why it works perfectly when the Denon isn't switched on.

5. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Routers are computers run by software and the running software can become corrupted - which is why you should try a reboot first as that reloads the software and change out cables connected to it in case they are faulty.

6. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Although unlikely, one possibility is that your Vodafone contract doesn't support mutiple connections, so the LAN connection (Denon) takes precedence. You can sort of check this by looking at the Wi-fi indicator to see what state it's in. If it's On or Blinking quickly, I'd suspect a Vodafone restriction. Another option is that the Home Galaxy has been preconfigured by Vodafone to support only a single DHCP address, which also serves to restrict access to a single device at any one time (see manual, page 7-2; link below).

In any case, read the contract to see what you've purchased and/or contact Vodafone for assistance. This is of course only a possibility, not a certainty, and your problem may be one of serious interference (=> get Denon fixed). Before calling Denon though, try placing the modem well away from the hi-fi.

The Home Galaxy HG556a manual can be found at: https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Technical-Support/Huawei-HG556a-User-Manual/td-p/14469.

7. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Bit of a red herring from Mark. Vodafone do not do any of those things in the UK.

It's either broken software - reboot, damaged ethernet cable - replace, broken router - replace, broken amp - replace/repair

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    Not being in UK, I do not know what sort of antics Vodafone get up to, but can only extrapolate from the sort of things others do, and suggest checking.

BTW, I don't see how a broken ethernet cable or broken amp can cause the wireless functionality on the router to stop working whenever the amp is in use, so consider that also to be a red herring. My comment on relocation to prevent interference is not a red herring though, but something to test.

A broken router is of course the most likely option if rebooting and relocating doesn't help.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  9. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    A damaged ethernet cable can cause unstable/noisy signals through the switch in the router which can effect wireless as it part of the data switching side- had direct experience of that recently with a business system I support (also flooded the voip system connected to it) - cured by replacing the effected cables.

Likewise the network side of the amp if faulty could be flooding the router with garbage that would also have a similar effect as the bad cable. Dodgy power supplies on the router can also do this.

10. Veryperplexed

Veryperplexed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm not in the UK, so I will check outthe vodafone thing. I think it is probably electrical interference, as when allthe electrical stuff (Panasonic TV, DVD recorder and Denon) is off, theinternet behaves itself and when it is on it intermittently drops. It is doingmy head in! I have now moved the router to another room, but this leaves mewith the problem of how to connect the Denon to the internet, so I can useinternet radio. Can this be done wirelessly or does it have to be connected tothe router via an Ethernet cable? Cheers

11. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176