1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Scotsman, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Scotsman

Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking for advice/information

I'm trying to find a Home Cinema Solution, where the Speakers are wireless (ideally all of them, but more realistically the rear speakers only)

Budget is £2-400

Any help/info would be much appreciated

:lease:

2. twebbas

twebbas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Fozzy

Fozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a sony home cinema with wireless speakers in JL Brent cross last week for £299 (It was supposed to be £545.)
    THere was one left (display) and also a display one in JL in High Wycombe.... may be others around the country... its worth a look...
    I have found it works really well... Last time I looked about 2 years ago they were about £1000 so I am really pleased with this purchase....

Model is Sony DAV-SB500W...
    Hope you find one..... (ebay - repaired one for sub £200)
    Foz

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The problem with wireless speakers is that they tend to use FM wireless, and these days we're all accustomed to the quality of digital connections. Also, if the manufacturer is spending £100 on the radio transmitters/receivers, that's £100 that's not being spent on the speakers. You still need a power supply, and therefore you won't have totally done away with the wires.

5. Scotsman

Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info everyone

I know that it won't be totally wireless, but from an aesthetic point of view there won't be wires running from the Front of the room to the rear, which will make the rest of the household happy

Cheers

Sc0tsman

6. snapper3166

snapper3166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Scotsman, I have just bought the Sony 700Fw which has wireless rear speakers, this system uses digital infrared, so you dont get the problem that Nick UK is talking about.

I have been really pleased with it (should be circa £600) but pixmania do it for £389!!!! Otherwise you can get a SR4 refurbed (nothing wrong with that in my opinion) on ebay for just over 300. Same technology just lower output (800 RMS v 1000RMS) and no ability to play DivX

7. blueslinky

blueslinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of the dav 500zf but have discovered it does not have a digital audio input for my sky box

Does the Sony DAV-DZ700FW have this and how does it compare in performance with Dav 500zf?

Thanks

8. Publican

Publican

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I had this debate about the 500 verses the 700 and have come to the conclusion that theres not enough for me to change my order of the 500 personally. Sky will charge for HD transmission and its going to be very limited and not at least until next year.As long as mine will play dvd in Dolby digital i'm not that bothered. Hope that helps.

Chris

EDIT: To answer your question,yes it does.
    EDIT2:No differnece in performance as far am i'm aware.

9. blueslinky

blueslinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can i ask why you chose the 500 over the 700? Is the sound quality better with the wired system? I know wired is normally best but wireless is better for my living room and i just cant decide on wireless or wired and i read a glowing review on the 500 in this months what Hi-FI

10. sallyann

sallyann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you considerd the new Sony DAV-X1 ?

Surround sound from just two front speakers. Its very new so there doesn't seem to be any reviews around just yet.

11. blueslinky

blueslinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I havent read anything on that one yet let me google it

12. blueslinky

blueslinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken the plunge and ordered the sony 700 wireless affair. I will post my thoughts once it is all set up thanks for all the advice.

13. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
  14. the_waterboy

the_waterboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is certainly one I would consider. The idea is that the two front speakers have two little speakers inside of each one (if you follow me) - one to produce the front and centre sound and the other to create virtual surround.

Sounds like a nice idea to me, and would like it to be successful, as my room doesn't have the sort of space to fit a full 5.1 system in. I also wouldn't have cables running through the room then!

Only problem I can forsee is the price - £700ish. Though it does look worthwhile.

I'm also no good at connecting lots of wires, and this only has 4. Nice!! :thumbsup:

15. the_waterboy

the_waterboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask: anyone seen any others like this?

16. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    True, but this is "line of sight" unlike the RF system, hence the digital processing which buffers the signal to the rears - its fine as long as you don`t keep "getting in the way" :)

To be honest, IMO you can`t beat a wired system. No matter which "wireless" option you choose, you will always have one or 2 rear speakers needing a power supply, one rear speaker connected to a "master" rear speaker, or both rears plugging into a mains powered receiver depending on the manufacturer you choose.

Theres also other ways such as the Pioneer 3 spot systems, or if you can aford it, the Kef system. But to be fair any of these systems will be beaten hands down by a conventional "wired" system of similar price.

17. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two yamaha solutions for all your wireless problems!!
    1. YSP800 £600 with auto setup 1 large speaker replaces amp and all speakers just add dvd, and it really works!!
    2. TRX-1 £130 wireless rears add-on for any system. Now choose your system cause you actually want that one and add this RF wireless system to convert it into a wireless (Rears!) system. Works with all systems includes plugs for sony/pioneer.

18. betamax

betamax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's the Bose 3.2.1 GS if you've got £1,250 to spare!

19. mark palmer

mark palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Sony DAV X1 IS fantastic when i tried it in Sony store Tottenham Court Road , I tried the DAV 500 and the X1 and the X1 was better sound with a good bass. It costs £899 but can be found on ebay or the web for £600 . I bought one from Sony when I bought my Sony KDLVA12U TV , I got a £200 discount. :clap:

20. superman22

superman22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THats a brilliant deal, ive been looking at this system for a while
    im so going to get one :thumbsup:
    cheers

21. daveande

daveande
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The BOSE 3-2-1 range operates in a similar way, combining a pair of "articulated array" speakers and a sub-woofer. Trouble is they're even more expensive than the Sony DAV-X1 system.

The Sony DAV-DZ700FW uses digital infra-red to connect wirelessly to the rear speakers. This works better than FM, and apparantly with no discernible difference in quality than a wired 5.1 system.

The Sony DAV-DZ700FW is currently available in both Region 2 only and multiregion versions, from £349.70 and £418.55 (incl. P&P) respectively.

22. betamax

betamax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark.

Took your advice and tried the DAV X1 out at the local Sony Centre - even took my own DVDs/CDs to make sure there was no jiggery-pokery - and it certainly convinced me.

23. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did you buy one then? Is it any good?

24. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same position and was looking at the Panasonic SC-HT880W. Anyone any info on this system.

25. joanne97

joanne97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know of a home cinema surround sound audio system that has wireless front speakers - not rear? Its just that I will be using it with my projector which is at the back of the room with an an amp, so my g/f would dearly love to have wireless front speakers but I can only seem to find wireless rear speakers.

I have seen various 'virtual' surrond sound systems using 2 speakers but am not convinced they would be as good as a proper 5.1 type set up.

Many thanks