• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wireless Help!!

rjtyrell

Standard Member
Hi,

I have just purchased a laptop which has a built in WiFi. I want to be able to access the internet both at home and at my girlfriends. At home we have a main PC downstairs which is on AOL Broadband and my girlfriend doesn’t have the internet yet.

Can someone guide me through what I need to buy and some decent routers that are available?

As far as I am aware for home use I need to buy a wireless router, this can then be plugged into the PC and my laptop will pick up the signal from the wireless router right?

Then at my girlfriends I am going to get pay as you use bulldog broadband and all I need for that is again a wireless router to plug into the phone socket and then my laptop runs off this, this that all correct?

Once it is set up how do I make it secure against hackers, viruses etc?

Thanks

richjthorpe

Established Member
Yep, you'll need 2 routers and the laptop can connect to whichever routers are available in the area.

Modern routers have firewalls to stop hackers getting in so you'll be safe.

Richie.

dannyg81

Established Member
And make sure you use some kind of encryption on your wirelss network... preferrably WPA-PSK instead of WEP. If you're buying 2 new routers then you should be fine, as all the latest kit is compatible with WPA.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom