• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Wireless Headphones using Jack out

grantmc3

Established Member
Hi,

My Dad has just bought himself a new flatscreen TV. His previous CRT TV had a setting which allowed the TV sound to broadcast simultaneously with his headphones so that he could listen at a higher volume than my Mum.

Unfortunately his new TV doesn't have that setting and when he plugs his unit into the Jack out socket it cuts off the TV volume.

Is there a workaround for this ? I have checked the settings and it can't be done....so looking for help on the most cost efficient solution to this.

Thanks

Grant

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Most TVs have an optical audio output as well as a headphone output. Something like this: Digital to Analogue Audio Converter | Maplin will turn this back into an independent headphone output with volume control. You can get these cheaper from Amazon if you are prepared to do a little searching and possibly waiting for overseas delivery. The only extra thing you will need will be an optical cable - a few pounds, that's all.

grantmc3

Established Member
Thanks, I have emailed him and am waiting for model of TV and Set top box

Noiseboy, I will look into that after I have ruled out other options, cheers

grantmc3

Established Member
V+BoxHD Samsung (Virgin)

And

Sony 32WD752SU Is the TV

Further help appreciated.... cheers

AndyRg4

Established Member
The TV does have a setting for this. Go into settings - sound, then change the headphone out to audio out. You can now change both volumes independent of each other

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The TV does have a setting for this. Go into settings - sound, then change the headphone out to audio out. You can now change both volumes independent of each other

Exactly what I was going to reply with and why it's so important to always give the brand of Tv.
Most modern Sony TV's have this option.

grantmc3

Established Member
I did check the TV menu when I was down last week and have also now checked the SONY online manual and there isn't this setting either on the TV or in the manual. I have ordered the part suggested above and will check the menu again when I go down to fit it.......appreciate the help anyway and I will report back....cheers

AndyRg4

Established Member
It is definitely there as I work in a Sony Centre and am very familiar with that model. Don't press options, instead go through the home menu, then settings, sound etc.
Don't order the optical DAC as it is not needed at all, it will be a waste of money

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I did check the TV menu when I was down last week and have also now checked the SONY online manual and there isn't this setting either on the TV or in the manual

There is, page 25 of the user manual..."Headphone/speaker link" within the setup menu.

grantmc3

Established Member
Cheers guys, went armed with my part but found the setting and got it fixed. Part was only £21 so no big deal

Thanks again for all the help, my Dad is happy to have his headphones back working. Also fixed a few other settings on TV while there.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom