Wireless Headphones for all digital Home Cinema

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by ajh499, Mar 1, 2014.

1. ajh499

ajh499

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I hope someone can help me.

I have a home cinema setup where all the audio is carried over HDMI, and I would like to add a set of wireless headphones, this seems to be a bit more complicated than I would haver thought.

I have a number of inputs (Sky HD, Blu-Ray and HTPC) into a DVDO Edge Video Processor, that splits the video out to the TV (a Panasonic Plasma) and the audio (still over HDMI) to an Onkyo HT-22HDX receiver, which doesn't have a headphone socket.

The Edge has an optical out, but it can't be activated at the same time as having audio over HDMI.

My question is how do I get a set of headphones into this system?

I guess that whatever I do I'll need an HDMI audio de-embedder like this to convert to optical (I know I'll lose the HD audio at this point - that's OK as long as the core surround audio still works)

But what next? Do I try to find some sort of DAC / DD+DTS decoder like the JVC SU-DH1 or the Creative HQ-2300D and use a pair of analogue wireless headphones or do I go for a set of headphones that can take Dolby Digital and DTS over optical such as the Sony MDR-DS6500? But they're a bit more expensive than I was hoping for.

There's plenty of gaming oriented headsets that would do, such as a number from Turtle Beach, but they only seem to support Dolby Digital not DTS. What happens when a DTS signal is passed to these headsets? Silence I suppose.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I can't find a DD+DTS decoder that's still available to buy and not more expensive than the Sony headphones, and I can't find any other sets of headphones that decode DTS that aren't also more expensive.

I'm not really too worried about preserving the surround effect to the headphones, just being able to play all the different possible audio formats and having some reasonable form of downmixing, rather than just splitting the front left and right channels like I suspect these would.

Sorry for the long post, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Alex

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014