• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Wireless headphone system with good range and bluetooth connection for mobile phone.

White Monk

I've been using a Sony MDR-HW700DS system for a while now and they meet my listening needs (mostly music) in most respects, but with two caveats:

1] When I pop out to the loo, the signal drops out.

2] I can't see a way of integrating it with my mobile.

I chose the MDR-HW700DS because they are over-the-ear, and are comfortable to wear for long periods, like a two hour concert. They also met my cost/quality criteria. Occasionally, when listening to a live broadcast like a radio play, I need a comfort break and miss part of the program due to signal drop out. I can't see a way of improving the wireless coverage of the base unit.

Being somewhat hearing impaired, I sometimes miss incoming calls unless I am in the same room as my mobile. I've fixed that by using a Ligo Bluewave in conjunction with my landline, as I have several DECT phones in our flat. The MDR-HW700DS doesn't appear to have any Bluetooth or mobile phone facility.

Is there any kit out there that has the same facilities as the MDR-HW700DS but has a greater wireless range and can be linked via Bluetooth to a mobile phone?

Steven

Senior Moderator
Signal range will be impacted by distance and the layout of your house. Presumably your loo means several walls / doors between it and the base station plus also the distance.

Is it possible to switch to a smartphone (internet radio) or a portable radio plus headphones and listen that way while you leave the room? Inconvenience of swapping is better than missing part of the broadcast.

White Monk

I live in a brick-built flat - lounge at one end - loo and bedrooms at the other end, with a hall in the middle. Thinking out of the box, relocating the MDR-HW700DS to the hall could be a solution. It's only on an optical loop-through at the moment. I wonder if it's feasible to get some really long toslink 'cables'. Is toslink lossless like fibre?

Not really thought about bringing a smartphone to the party, but it makes sense. Which, of course, means looking out for another set of decent over-the-ear (wired) headphones for my phone!

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom