Wireless headphone recommendations

goodwin_rj

Standard Member
Reaction score
Have been looking into getting some wireless headphones to be used mostly for gaming and movies. I can't seem to decide between the Sennheiser RS 170 or RS 180. Any help on these two (or any other recommendations)? The RS 180 would be pushing the limit of my budget. Looking to spend £160 at most really, maybe able to squeeze a few more quid (wife will just get less spent on her at Xmas).
Thanks in advance,
goodwin_rj

I can't wait for their response on 2 headphones comparison as well. :)

Just noticed that prices for both of these headphones have gone up dramatically on Amazon. Dithering could have proved costly...

Wired headphones? do they have to be wireless?

They do not have to be wireless but distance from telly/ps3 is quite far and quite like the idea of not having cable trailing and being able to get up and move around the house with them on.

How much better is the RS 170 to the RS 160, both use the digital transmitter but the one for the 160 looks much lower profile (although shorter at 20 metres but so maybe not be good enough for being say, being on different floors but I can hardly imagine that will be utilised often.

The 170 is £130 currently on Amazon, looks fairly decent value currently, RS 160 is ~£110.

The main difference between the 170 and 180 is that the 170 is closed and the 180 is open, which would change the sound and also depending on practicality, if sound leakage must be kept to a minimum.

I'm debating myself to invest in a pair, I watch stuff at night, when I don't want to disturb people and can do without the extra wires. The 170 is looking like the best compromise for myself as I do like a bit more bass.

Good Comparison table here in manufacturer description:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=12F0509KWD7K2WG17HSX

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have caved and gone for the Sennheiser RS 170's. Not sure if the wife will let me have them before xmas sadly...
Dixons have got them at a very good price.

If you are after the RS 180's i have found that Richer Sounds are doing them for £169 and if you sign upto the VIP Lounge then you get a £10 voucher for any spend over a £100.
Thanks for all responds.

Unfortunately, I looked at richer sounds too, but it's out of stock!! The 170s were what I originally thought, but the velvet pads on the 180s sealed it, plus for £160, its only £30 more.

I see there is a UK phone number but are the headphones sent from the UK or Spain?.....the price certainly looks good but i've not come across this company before.

I rang them up, the RS 180 is sent from their warehouse in Europe via Fedex (with a tracking number). The paypal certification checks out and its listed amongst price comparison sites such as shopping.com and google shopping.

I'm not too worried about receiving it. I'm more concerned on the warranty from sennheiser, as there's some confusion regarding whether their 2 year warranty covers any online retailers, including amazon. I sent them an email, but they haven't bothered responding very promptly.

I'm looking at 170's too, (so many places out of stock!) mainly for my HC, but thought there might be something that exists to enable wireless connectivity to stream music from iPhone/pod too?

Could someone confirm if a suitable dongle is available?

Thanks!

I've managed to find them at a UK seller for £169, out of stock at present but fresh stock arriving in the first week of January so i think i'll wait a week or two and see what happens over the Christmas period.

Must be popular as they seem out of stock at a few places.

Just as an update to this, I ordered the RS 180 through uk.lookat.com on Thursday last week for £159.09 delivered (via Fedex) and it came yesterday so quite happy with the service. The actual cardboard box was sennheiser branded as well as the tape used which leads me to think that perhaps lookat operate some sort of middle man service to warehouses/wholesalers around Europe. Anyway, the thing arrived in perfect condition, even the the retail packaging was covered in a fitted polystyrene cover.

Haven't set it up yet, will give it a try tonight.

My Sennheiser RS 170 have arrived as well and was allowed to have a go with them (to check they work, at least that is what i told the wife) and I am very happy with them.

Sadly though they have been handed over to Santa to bring down the chimney on Monday...
Cheers for everyones help/input on this matter.

Just as an update to this, I ordered the RS 180 through uk.lookat.com on Thursday last week for £159.09 delivered (via Fedex) and it came yesterday so quite happy with the service. The actual cardboard box was sennheiser branded as well as the tape used which leads me to think that perhaps lookat operate some sort of middle man service to warehouses/wholesalers around Europe. Anyway, the thing arrived in perfect condition, even the the retail packaging was covered in a fitted polystyrene cover.

Haven't set it up yet, will give it a try tonight.

how did you get on, am in the market to buy a pair of wireless cans and i like plenty of bass and not so sure that "wireless" and "bass" go hand in hand....:rolleyes:

They've plenty of bass for me and I do like a bit of bass, although one of the lower models has a bass boost switch so that might do you. I've quite enjoyed the sound of them so far, the bass is nice when I put on a dubstep tune, but not noticeable on dialogue when I'm watching a movie, which is perfect.

One thing, I have noticed is how crap, the sound card on my TV is as I've noticed such a difference listening out of my computer vs from headphone jack on my TV, now looking for a small dac to use the digital out instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom