Wireless hdmi

jabriel

My fibre optic cable running from the amp to the projector stopped working recently. Long story! (This was run in the ceiling when I was having work done in the house a few years ago.)

I had run 2 cat6 cables when I had the work done. I've tried a cat6 to hdmi converted and it sometimes works but the problem I have is it's not stable. The screen flickers sometimes and at other times there is no image at all and I've got no idea what's causing it.

I want to try a wireless option. Any suggestions? I'm happy to pay a premium for reliability. The distance is 4m with no walls in between. (There may not be a clear line of sight though as the amp sits on a shelf with a door. The door has 4 six inch cut outs and is covered in 2 layers of AT fabric.)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Otto Pylot

How long is your run and do you have access in ceiling via an attic space? Can you install a new cable? Did you use a conduit for your cabling?

Depending on what kind of CAT-6 cabling you used, solid copper core (non-CCA/CCS) or pre-terminated CAT-6 (ethernet cable) you may be able to terminate with HDBT.

Wireless HDMI, at least the last time I checked, was hit and miss, especially with 4k HDR.

jabriel

The run is approximately 4m. I could get to the ceiling from the bedroom above but it means moving the beds, carpets, floorboards, etc and I'm not willing to do that. Didn't use a conduit.

What's HDBT?

My projector is a JVC x500 so not fussed about 4k HDR. (If I was buying a new project, native 4k etc, I would just access the ceiling from above as you've suggested or even take a part of the ceiling down and lay new cables and pipes etc for future proofing.)

Otto Pylot

We have another poster here who is well versed in all things HDBT. Hopefully @Joe Fernand will respond. If HD (1080) is all your concerned with, then you connection is a bit easier. If you ever decide to move up to the higher video standards, then you'll seriously need to think about your connectivity,

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
CAT cable - ideally you would find someone with a decent quality cable tester to run a suite of tests and confirm that the cable and terminations are good, a basic continuity tester is not sufficient.

HDBT - is the industry 'standard' for HDMI over CAT. There are various silicon options which manufacturers can integrate into transmitter and receiver kit, Audio-Video Products - Valens.

A decent HDBT Extender set coupled with a reliable CAT cable will deliver a stable signal at 1080p or 2160p.

Wireless HD - is always best avoided unless there are no other options.

Joe

jabriel

Thanks Joe.

I don't see that I have other options. I've tried the cat6/hdmi extender and it hasn't worked. If I'm going to take the ceiling down, I'd just run HDMI cable. I really don't want to take the ceiling down though.

Any recommendations for wireless HDMI products?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Which Extenders do you use - they are not all as reliable as each other, huge differences in quality and reliability between brands.

Wirless HD - my recommendation is to avoid it at all costs.

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Look for an extender based on HDBT - drop me a PM if you want info on units we supply.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom