Question Wireless HDMI Extenders

calibos

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Wireless HDMI extenders. SWMBO wants a TV in the one room in the house I never ran CT100 or Cat5e during renovations 10 years ago. While both TV's in question are 720p Plasmas, they'll inevitably get replaced with 4K TV's however, I'll only ever display 1080p on even those, so a 1080p capable HDMI Wireless extender should suffice. Are there any with Matrix switching built in or will I have to use a seperate matrix switched. ie. at least 2 inputs and 2 outputs.

Which Sources devices do you need to 'share' to the additional 'zone'?

How far away is the additional Zone from the Source(s) you wish to share?

Could you run a CAT cable (preferably CAT6) externally to the additional Zone?

Joe

Which Sources devices do you need to 'share' to the additional 'zone'?

How far away is the additional Zone from the Source(s) you wish to share?

Could you run a CAT cable (preferably CAT6) externally to the additional Zone?

Joe

Hi Joe,

A Virgin STB and a Kodi Media Player.

About 6m. Dividing wall between the rooms is the old Victorian Gable wall so about 2ft thick but with double doors which at the moment are cheap cardboard Honeycomb wooden doors. Can't run cables externally to the additional zone because if 2ft thick walls. Just remembered though, I'd want the Wireless HDMI extender anyway because even if I could move the Virgin box to the new location, I'd want to share it back to the other room anyway because the cost of another multiroom sub would rapidly cost more than an extender. The same person will use both TV's so it'll only ever be one or the other in use and never at the same time.

Wireless HD can often be, at best, unreliable and on most occasions simply not work, stick thick walls between the TX and the RX and you have higher potential for it not working.

Wireless UHD is HD with additional problems :)

You will need to try out suitable options ensuring you have a decent Returns policy on anything you do try.

Joe

Even at 2’ thick I would just bite the bullet and drill it. A 2’ SDS drill bit will cost you less than wireless senders, which Joe was polite about, but you can read ‘garbage’. 2’ thick walls will seriously attenuate many RF signals, especially wireless senders making them almost useless. If you ran some CT100 you could use a digital modulator from the virgin box. That would give you a 1080p digital signal.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom