1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless gaming adaptor questions...

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by NinjaMonkeyUK, Aug 24, 2005.

1. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi everyone.

I recently bought a Netgear DG834G wireless modem / router / 4-port switch / firewall from Amazon to set up a home network.

I got the WG111 USB adaptor free with the router and am going to be using that for my mother's laptop PC.

I was originally going to hardwire my XBox (upstairs) to the router using a LAN cable, but that would involve taking up floorboards and drilling holes in walls, so I'm now looking at placing a wireless gaming bridge in my bedroom with the XBox instead.

I'ev been looking at the Netgear WGE111, which looks to be fully compatible with my Netgear router, and also the Linksys Wireless Game Adaptor WGA11B.

Both seem to have good reviews. Has anyone on here had any experience with either product? I'm not sure which one to go for, although I do like the idea of sticking with one brand.

The cheapest I have found the Netgear WGE111 is for about £50, and the cheapest I can find the Linksys WGA11B is for about £30. Is it worth paying the extra £20 or so for the Netgear version?

I think I'm right in saying the Linksys is only IEEE 802.11b, whereas the Netgear WGE111 is 802.11g. Would this make a difference to online play on my XBox?

Also, does anyone know if there would be any interference when using both the XBox and my mother's laptop on wireless connections at the same time?

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Anyone?

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    All I could really say is it's often beneficial to stick to a brand, so the Netgear is the one. I have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54G) and gaming adapter (WGA54G), and to be honest it has caused alot less problems on Live than when I had Netgear stuff, but then I know lots of other people who use their Netgear wireless without a hitch. I was a bit new to networking back then, and found the Linksys easier to set up, but each to their own.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either of your choices to be honest, but I've seen it written loads of times that it causes less problems to stick with brand. Also, you will often be more than OK to stick with a 'b' connection as it allows more than enough room for the traffic to the internet (11Mbps), so in theory you shouldn't need the 'g' standard (54Mbps). But my thought was there's not really much difference in cost if you're buying from new, so I just stick with the 'g' standard across my network.

4. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks for your reply Lorenzini.

I am not new to networking as such - I have done wired networks before (in fact thats what I'm using now), so I'm not too worried about setting the new one up with my new router.

The only thing I'm not too sure about is the wireless side of things, but I think you're probably right about sticking to the same brand.

What problems did you have with Netgear? Why the change to Linksys? I'm more than likely going to go for the Netgear WGE111 which features 802.11g - might as well be as future proof as I can right from the start!

5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    When I had my Netgear stuff I used to not be able to connect to certain people, and others I couldn't speak to. It got really frustrating as one of the people I couldn't connect to was my regular Pro Evo buddy, so it was a bit useless!

When I did my research, I realised only certain routers are Live certificated (they are advertised on www.xbox.com), and these are listed as "open" whereas my old Netgear was "strict" (again this is described at the Xbox site, sorry I haven't got the link to hand). Strict routers can't connect to strict routers, whereas open can connect to all. Since I bought the Live certificated Linksys gear (listed as "open"), I've not had a single problem.

But like I say, I know people who have Netgear stuff and they are listed as open, so I can't work it out. I can only think it may be a combination of ISP and router (I'm on NTL). No idea if all this helps you, but good luck!

6. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    You're starting to worry me now with your talk of "open" and "strict" routers! I'm pretty sure the router I bought is fully compatible though, and the Netgear gaming adaptor is listed on their own site as XBox Live compatible - there's even a picture of an XBox right next to it!

Here's hoping everything works out!

One more thing - does it matter what sort of LAN cable is used between the gaming adaptor and the XBox? I take it I need a normal cable, not a crosswired one?

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    I'll post the link to the explanation of Open and Strict routers when I get home tonight - it shows how you can test your router's connection to see if it's open or strict.

It sounds like the bridge will be fine. You'll get an ethernet cable with whichever bridge you decide to buy, so you can just use that one (ok, I can't remember if it's straight or crossover right now!).

8. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    Here's that link I promised to the Xbox website showing you how to test how strict your router is. If you do the test first of all with the Xbox hardwired and it's open, then you should be in luck with a Live certified bridge like you're looking at. Good luck! :thumbsup:

9. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thanks for the link, Lorenzini. I've now signed up to XBox Live under the gamertag NinjaMonkeyUK (I wanted IronMonkey but that was already taken!).

I hope you don't mind, but I've added you to my Friends list (my first XBox pal!).

I have taken a look at the link, but can't actually do anything to check the status of my router because I don't get the option on my XBox!

The site says:

To see your ICMP test results in the Xbox Dashboard

With the latest update of the Xbox Dashboard, you can now determine whether your router or home gateway is handling ICMP traffic properly!

1. Select Xbox Live to sign in to Xbox Live from the Xbox Dashboard.
    2. From the Connect Status screen, press the Y button on your controller.
    3. Press the A button to see diagnostic information. Find IC: x, where x is your ICMP test result of either 0 or 1. 0 means your router or home gateway has failed the ICMP test and is not compatible with Xbox Live. 1 means your router or home gateway has passed the ICMP test, and you’re good to go for Xbox Live!

I must not have the latest Dashboard update, because I can't do the second step - I don't see a Connect Status screen! How do I go about updating the Dashboard? I can't find an option for it...

10. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Anyone?