Wireless G on N

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If I put a wireless G device on a wireless N network will this cause any problems or will everything continue to operate at N speed and range except the connection to and from that device?

H

hikkaru

well my experience is that when combining n draft routers whit g client that the speed is some what lower then using a g router whit a g client.

n + g = a bit slower.
g+g > then n+g.

Gadgetcity

Established Member
If I put a wireless G device on a wireless N network will this cause any problems or will everything continue to operate at N speed and range except the connection to and from that device?

I found that n + g is faster than g + g but I also have a PDA with b and both that and the g laptop also work anywhere in the house and even the garden so range is improved as well.

Old router - Linksys wrt54g
New router - Belkin MIMO pre-N

N

nburg01

If it's a Draft-N 2.0 device (not pre-N) then 2 'N' devices should communicate at full 'N' speed, even with legacy 'G' devices on the network. N to G communication, however, will revert to G speed.

Let's hope IEEE ratify N asap so this mess can be finally resolved. No sign yet though, latest rumours are there may be a Draft-N 3.0 before IEEE 802.11n gets the green light, this has to be the longest approval in history!

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Let's hope IEEE ratify N asap so this mess can be finally resolved. No sign yet though, latest rumours are there may be a Draft-N 3.0 before IEEE 802.11n gets the green light, this has to be the longest approval in history!

I believe that there has been a 3.02 and now a 4.0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom