Wireless for Denon 3312?

clockworks

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a Denon 3312, and it looks like I've been mislead by their advertising. I understood that it had built-in wireless for Airplay, but, if it has, I can't get it to work. Airplay works fine if I use a wired connection.

The living room doesn't have an ethernet point, and adding one will be tricky. Is there a wireless dongle that'll work with the Denon, and has decent range?

I already have a couple of airport expresses set up on other systems in the house, and an iPad running the Remote app.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the replies.
I found a couple of Linksys WAPs in the loft, but both were dead - no output from the power supplies. Most odd, as they both worked when I put them away a couple of years ago.

I installed the receiver this morning. Worked OK for 30 minutes, then went into protection mode - power light flashing every 2 seconds. Left it to cool down (not that it was hot) to no avail, also tried a microprocessor reset. Powers up OK, then shuts down after a few seconds. Definitely dead.

I made the mistake of buying it from Simply Electronics. Didn't realise that they were a Hong Kong company, as I got confused with the PC retailer Simply Computers that I used a few years back.
I couldn't register it on the Denon website, as the serial number wasn't recognised. Fake, or just non-EU?

When I get my money back, I'll buy another receiver. Next time, I'll do my research a little more thoroughly! This is the first time that I've bought AV kit online. I reckon it'll be my last. No B&M hifi shops in West Cornwall now, so I'll have to travel.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Any ideas of which AVR you'll try next?

Possibly another 3312. For the short time that it was working, it sounded pretty good to my ageing ears.

Are you aware of the tottenhamcourtroad direct deal for £599? I am intending to take advantage of it...

Saw that post earlier. My experience with Simply has made me very wary of deals that are "too cheap", but I'd be interested to see how the poster of that link (was it you?) gets on with them. There was another post about a "sale" at Weymouth hifi, 3312 for £750. I spoke to them on Saturday, and was assured that they had stock, and that they were official UK items, brand new.

I'd be concerned that, for £600, they were non-EU items, or maybe customer returns. That price is just so much lower than anywhere else. The one I got from Simply seems to have been both! It's a huge reduction on a product that's still current.

I've spoken to them and am convinced that they have multiple UK outlets, carry UK stock and that it's actually just a very good deal - but I guess we'll find out soon!

I guess that, in these financially-troubled times, they could just be selling stock for little or no profit to keep their cash flow going. I wonder what the dealer mark-up is on this type of kit?

It's unusual for a product that's only halfway through it's annual model cycle to get such drastic reductions.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom