Wireless Connection between BT router and Belkin USB

Richupton

Standard Member
Hello there,

I have recently moved my PC downstairs, due to the second bedroom now becoming a nursey. Previously, the internet on the desk top was hooked up from the phone line in that room, via a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router and BT Voyager 1500 wireless router (used for laptop and iPlayer).

With no phone line at the PCs new location I bought a Belkin G+ USB Adaptor in the hope that I'd simply be able to download the software, plug the dongle into the PC and hook up to the internet. However, the installation was completed, and when I open up the Belkin page, there is no network to speak of , anywhere.

I have a reasonable idea of what might need to be done but, in non techhy speak, could someone explain what I need to do in order to get my wireless network operational??

Many thanks

Richard

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Bring the router boxes into the same room as the wifi adapter, plug it in, turn it on and see if the adapter picks up the wireless network then (don't worry about the lack of phone connection - the networking is seperate from the internet connectivity).

beerhunter

Novice Member
First I have no idea how or why you used two routers previously as you can only have on on a line and only need one anyway.

You need the 1500 up and running then connect to it via Ethernet and check the WiFi settings. e.g. The SSID (the name of your network) and any encryption keys that have been set.

Having found them. DO NOT use the Belkin Software to connect. Use Windows.

There are umpteen threads about that here.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
First I have no idea how or why you used two routers previously as you can only have on on a line and only need one anyway.

Look them up, the 1500 doesn't have a modem and the 205 doesn't have wireless so you do have to use them together in this case.

Last edited:

beerhunter

Novice Member
Look them up, the 1500 doesn't have a modern and the 205 doesn't have wireless so you do have to use them together in this case.
But one still doesn't need two routers to add WiFi to a wired router. A wireless Access Point would suffice. Alternatively replacing the existing router with one that has WiFi built-in would be even easier. Adding a second router only adds needless complication.

Richupton

Standard Member
Hello there,

Thank you Endlesswaves for explaining why I need to have both 1500 and 205 routers. Will agree with beerhunter in saying that, once this is all sorted, I will buy a router with WiFi built in...

As for my issue, I will move the routers into the same room as the desktop (i already have moved them downstairs) and report back on my findings...

Richard

beerhunter

Novice Member
once this is all sorted, I will buy a router with WiFi built in...
Don't forget that it needs to have a built-in ADSL modem as well. I turned up at a customer just two days ago and they had bought the wrong one. (I guess that is why they called me.) Luckily the shops are used to this and the retailer swapped it without a murmur. (I think that they supplied the wrong one because the customer said that they were with Virgin and so they assumed Cable.)

Having said that if you are with BT, they will give you a BT Home Hub for free. It has 802.11n WiFi which has better coverage (and speed) than the adapter than you have just bought (I assume that it is 802.11g) BUT you would have have to swap that adapter one that supports 802.11n. While you are doing it DON'T buy a USB type. If you have a laptop get a PC Card (or mini-PCI car if you laptop supports it) or for a desktop/tower, get a PCI card.

Last edited:

Richupton

Standard Member
Thanks for the suggestion regarding the BT Hub which I may well take them up on...Why PC Card, as opposed to USB? Better performance or something more fundamental??

To update you I moved both Voyager routers into the same room as the desktop and there was no picking up on them by the Belkin Utility program. The messages in the tool, state 'There are no favorite networks in range of your PC' 'If you think you should be in range, make sure your router or access point is broadcasting through the SSID'

My theory initially was that the ADSL modem needs to be hooked up to the deskop one more time, in order to adjust the network setting to wireless...make any sense??

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestion regarding the BT Hub which I may well take them up on...Why PC Card, as opposed to USB? Better performance or something more fundamental??

PC card is a bit out of date, a lot of laptops would have an ExpressCard these days.

A slot in one is a good idea for a laptop because it's physically more secure though, USB ones that stick out have an unfortunate tendancy to get leaned on and either snap or rip the USB port off the motherboard.

I don't know why you'd particulaly go for a PCI-E over USB on the desktop though.

To update you I moved both Voyager routers into the same room as the desktop and there was no picking up on them by the Belkin Utility program. The messages in the tool, state 'There are no favorite networks in range of your PC' 'If you think you should be in range, make sure your router or access point is broadcasting through the SSID'

My theory initially was that the ADSL modem needs to be hooked up to the deskop one more time, in order to adjust the network setting to wireless...make any sense??

Yes, you do need the wireless turned on. As you had a seperate wireless access point box I kind of assumed it was already turned on but it's working checking in the router control panel (set the security type to WPA).

Richupton

Standard Member
Thanks for your thoughts regarding USB v PCI card on my desktop...

Yes, you do need the wireless turned on. As you had a seperate wireless access point box I kind of assumed it was already turned on but it's working checking in the router control panel (set the security type to WPA).
Glad you understood where I was coming from...could you talk me though this part - especially how and where to set the security type to WPA - would the control panel for the router be in windows?

beerhunter

Novice Member
PC card is a bit out of date, a lot of laptops would have an ExpressCard these days.

I don't know why you'd particulaly go for a PCI-E over USB on the desktop though.
Quite correct ExpressCard is getting more pervasive these days. I was assuming, in both cases, that the existing kit wasn't exactly brand new.

PCI is better on a desktop for all the laptop reasons plus: Usually a Bus Master and so better transfer rates between the System and the card, plus none of the USB overheads. Better antenna and the ability to fix extension cables for better siting of antenna plus ability to fit higher gain antennae. Finally - cheaper.

Last edited:

Richupton

Standard Member
After all that, I did what I should have to start with, namey called Belkin technical support.

A very helpful man walked me through the process - namely:

Right click on My Computer/ go to Properties/ Hardware/ click on Device Manager

From the Network Adaptors menu, a ? appeared alongside Belkin, so I clicked onto that and in the General tab the Device Status was showing as Uninstalled. Once I clicked to install it, the process completed after 30 seconds. Having closed the window, I was able to get access to the internet, with the green light on the adaptor flashing away quite happily.

Hope that this is of help for future queries and many thanks for your help.

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom