Wireless Card Speed

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi guys i bought this Addon AWP1750E Dual Band Wireless PCI Express Adapter

I have virgin broadband wireless speeds of 380mbps on my imac and phone.

I cant get better than 180mbps with it, its connected at a speed of 585 or 866 depending on wind...
any suggestions?

watch carefully, is the 180 actual throughput MBs or Mbs ? and what test method are you using to establish those figures?

Speed test via okala my mac is next to it and gets 380
It downloads from steam or such like at 18mbps so that seems right but I don't know why I can't get it to 380mbps or downloads of 38mbps

The spec of the card seems okayish, though not one I've come across until now. What windows version are you running?

You don't say what access point you're using but 866Mbps link speed suggests you're running on 5Ghz at 2 spatial streams & 80Mhz which is fairly typical and likely what your phone is using too. Does your phone/iMac report link speed?

180 on it's own is a reasonable speed to be getting over wi-fi but obviously if you're getting faster in the same location there's some problem.

Dropping down to 585 suggests there may be a compatibility issue with the modulation/coding. Worth seeing if you can find updated drivers for the card or updated firmware for the router.

The spec of the card seems okayish, though not one I've come across until now. What windows version are you running?

Yeah spec seemed fine to be honest compared to some others. im using windows 10 home edition

You don't say what access point you're using but 866Mbps link speed suggests you're running on 5Ghz at 2 spatial streams & 80Mhz which is fairly typical and likely what your phone is using too. Does your phone/iMac report link speed?

180 on it's own is a reasonable speed to be getting over wi-fi but obviously if you're getting faster in the same location there's some problem.

Dropping down to 585 suggests there may be a compatibility issue with the modulation/coding. Worth seeing if you can find updated drivers for the card or updated firmware for the router.

Christ thats technical! I do split my 2.4ghz and 5ghz down as reliability issues with sky q really help this.
i have this TP-LInk AC2800. Not sure what other settings ive done as im currently at work.

As for the compatibility yes there could be some i cant find updated drivers for the card.
Router i think is up to date.

Just in case the firmware on the AC2800 is not up to date, here's a link for it. It's known as an Archer VR2800 according to their site.

Download for Archer VR2800 | TP-Link United Kingdom

The Addon site is useless, they don't even have the AWP 1750E adapter listed and their contact form doesn't work. But meanwhile will look elsewhere.

Yes comes up with the Archer VR2800 on my network. I'll have a little look when i am home to see if that's the case.

And ADDONS site is so bad, if i hadn't built the pc and all id have just sent it back.

Yes it really is a joke when they can't even recognise the model of one of their own products. Why do companies do this!!!!!!

Will keep looking and look out for your updates later.

firmware is fine btw

anyone get any further?

Sorry I have looked everywhere for stuff on this but to no avail and the ADDON site and support really is the pits.

makes two of us

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom