1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless broadband

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by licorice, May 26, 2003.

1. licorice

licorice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have looked at earlier threads on this subject but am not sure that I completely understand what was advised.

I currently have BT's home500 ADSL with USB modem. I want to ditch my existing desktop + get laptop with wireless capability. BT say that with USB modem another PC is required in the chain.

Is it possible to do this using some sort of router/modem connected to ADSL point + access point to broadcast to the laptop without involving another PC?

Thanks.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes you need something like this http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm the sar715pw , this has the benefit of allowing MSM to work behind the NAT firewall which not many routers can.

3. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  4. licorice

licorice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

5. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I've just got the Netgear DG824 (currently many retailers are giving a free MA401 laptop wireless card with it) and I'm quite pleased with.

Range is ok to a point - don't believe the manufacturers claims that it can work up 100 metres indoors - it's rather optimistic unless your home is a big open plan warehouse.... but I can roam about 50 foot with several brick walls in between....

Anyhow I am pleased with the wireless setup I have and the wifi card doesn't seem to drain the laptop battery very much....